| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender lap steel need ID
Joel Lee Weinstein

Wimberley, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 2:23 pm    

I have a Fender lap steel that I need to ID (pic included). It looks like a Studio Deluxe, six string, serial number (I think, because it's not quite readable) 6989. Each fret is numbered (1-29) The case is black. Chrome knobs. White pickup. Three adjustable chrome legs. I have the original inspection tag (pic included). Can anyone help me identify the model and the year. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 3:43 pm    

It looks like a Champ (student grade), but it has legs...? It can't be a Deluxe because it only has one pickup and plastic tuner buttons. Deluxe's have "Stringmaster features", 2 PUs, blend control, metal tuner buttons, etc. It has to be After 1963 if that black tolex Case is original to the guitar.
Joel Lee Weinstein

Wimberley, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 4:07 pm    

https://reverb.com/item/486389-1968-fender-studio-deluxe-lapsteel-blond?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CKS4nLnFpsQCFQiNaQod1Z4A-A

Doug:
Here's a photo of a posted for sale Studio Deluxe with one pickup. So some of the studio deluxes must have been produced with only one pickup. It does have metal tuners, though. I guess the fact that the frets are numbered is pretty good evidence that it's a student model. But the only on line pictures I've found that look anything like my steel are labeled "Studio Deluxe." Any idea of the serial number's relation to date of manufacture?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 5:28 pm    

Ah... okay. A "Studio Deluxe". I was thinking a Fender "Deluxe", a different animal.

The serial number won't tell you what date the guitar was made. The case was made after 1963. The style of Logo on the case might narrow down the year. It could be anywhere from about 1964 to the late 70s. The source/date code on the vol. and tone pots would tell you when the pots were made.
Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 6:10 pm    

I have a 1970 Fender catalog here that shows this exact same guitar, plastic tuner buttons, white pickup cover and all. Of course, that doesn't make yours a 1970, but I believe it's going to be close. As Doug said, the case puts it after the mid-sixties and the same cases show in this catalog. This catalog calls the lap model a 'Champ' (which was my first impression) and calls the model with three legs the 'Studio Deluxe'.

So I would say you have a late sixties or early seventies Studio Deluxe that looks to be in primo condition. The exact year may remain a mystery.

Nice guitar. Good luck on getting some more info. Hopefully some others will chime in here. HTH.

Wimberley, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 7:07 pm     Thanks everyone

Thank you for the information. I believe when I bought it awhile ago, the seller said it was a mid 60s-mid 70s steel. I just play pedal steel and dobro and never have any call to use it. The drummer in one of my bands is interested in buying it, but I'm not sure what to charge. Any idea of the value and one? I think I paid $250 in 1997 from a guy who never used it.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 8:41 pm    

I don't know what the value would be, but in general, single pickup Fenders don't sell for as much as the two pickup ones (Deluxe & Stringmaster). Basically this is a Champ with legs, although it's called a Studio Deluxe.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 9:20 pm    

It's worth $700 with a case and legs. The magic 'F'. You can't touch a normal Champ (case, no legs) for less than $500.

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 5:52 pm    

My own early 60s Champ was only $300 but it's got quite a few bar dings and other wear. Not as nice as the one above. The prices above sound accurate to me and what I'd pay for very good condition.