| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Noisy/Loose Rollers
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 9:54 pm    

Sometimes a roller at the nut will vibrate. It seems to be loose on the roller axle. When this happens the string just sounds.... WRONG. It happens on just 2 or 3 strings, and not all of the time.

This may not be a Sho-Bud thing, but the guitar is Professional S10, rack-and-barrel.

I have disassembled the roller nut, cleaned the rollers and axle, lightly applied some PTFE lubricant to the axle, and put it back together. Yes, in the same order Rolling Eyes

Suggestions?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 10:01 pm    

I've never used ptfe lube. Does it evaporate leaving the teflon? Most of the time, light oil placed on the sides of the roller will stop it. If your lube stays as a liquid, then you'll nned to find another solution (no pun intended). Some others are bound to chime in here.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 12:49 am    

Thanks, Richard.

The lube I used is supposed to evaporate, leaving a film of Teflon. I think you are suggesting that a more viscous/heavier oil would work better. Makes sense. The Teflon lube might be great on changer fingers, but perhaps something heavier, even a light grease would do a better job at dampening vibration in the loosely fitted parts of the roller nut.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Robinson on 28 Feb 2015 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 4:27 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Thanks, Richard.

The lube I used is supposed to evaporate, leaving a film of Teflon. I think you are suggesting that a more viscous/heavier oil would work better. Makes sense.

Exactly, a thin film isn't thick enough to fill significant spaces. For that, some oil, or even grease, will work far better. Most players I've known who had this problem just added a drop of 3-in-1 oil, and that solved the problem.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 9:08 am    

Ive found that trying to align the strings as perfectly straight over the rollers to the tuning pegs helps alot. Prior owner set smalldusting cloth over strings in keyhead to dampen those vibrations. Mine went away when I straightened the strings.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 9:49 am    

3-in-1 oil.
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 11:16 am    

Yep, I'm guilty of overthinking this with the high-tech lubricants. It will be easy enough to try a drop of two of the good old 3-in-1, and I'll report my results.

Alignment/angle of the strings to the tuning pegs is worth a look, but I don't think that's my problem. Of course I've been wrong before Rolling Eyes

Dan
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 12:16 pm    

Dan if that don't work try a PM to Michael Yahl he owns psgparts.com and specializes in shobud parts and issues and a great guy to boot

Highland Falls,New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 1:24 pm     Sho-Bud noise

3 in 1 has solved this issue for me as well. As a second shout out to Michael Yahl. I cannot thank him enough for the help and quality parts he's given me!
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 4:39 pm    

OK, I'm in the "3-in-1" camp now. That did the trick! The little container with the needle-spout sure is handy for applying just a drop exactly where you want it to go.
Gary L Reed

Castle Rock, CO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 7:46 am    

Dan, I use Hoppe's gun oil with the little needle spout. Has worked real well. Hope to see you soon.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 1:08 pm    

Get a new roller rather than try to deaden the roller. The oil bandaid works, but do you want to deaden the vibrations between the string to roller to keyhead to cabinet? Maybe you do?
Have a new roller made and lap the sides until the fit is slop free.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 4:09 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
Get a new roller rather than try to deaden the roller. The oil bandaid works, but do you want to deaden the vibrations between the string to roller to keyhead to cabinet? Maybe you do?
Have a new roller made and lap the sides until the fit is slop free.

I'd be really amazed if anyone could hear that difference. Confused
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 10:08 pm    

We used to pry the legs closer with a small screwdriver, maybe peen the finger a little, and gently tweak it until all rollers moved smoothly. Then a little oil keeps everything spinning freely.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2015 10:20 pm    

I mean no offense, but choosing a thick oil or molasses or bear grease or Barr grease or KY or duct tape may be fine. But, why not have a well fitting roller made. Unless, of course, you are going to get rid of the guitar soon.
I apologize I missed punctuation above. When I get the third complaint from Oregon about my post, as there are always complaints from the pure folks in Oregon, I will correct my grammar and flip over to parallel construction.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 6:39 am    

Jim Smith wrote:
We used to pry the legs closer with a small screwdriver, maybe peen the finger a little, and gently tweak it until all rollers moved smoothly. Then a little oil keeps everything spinning freely.

Risky. I have a stack of broken keyheads to testify to the fact that Shobud CAST keyheads are delicate.

You also can't just buy a set of rollers and drop them in and solve the problem. Not on Shobud and their inconsistancy. Sorry Mike Wilkerson.

The true way is to custom fit each new roller to each slot as Chris Lucker said. I've done many of them, and there is no quick magic fix, except to do the work. A drop of sewing machine oil will get you by, until you get time to do it right.
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 9:36 pm    

James,

Thanks for keeping me out of trouble. It's a rough neighborhood. lol

Dan
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 9:43 pm    

Gary L Reed wrote:
Dan, I use Hoppe's gun oil with the little needle spout. Has worked real well. Hope to see you soon.

Yep, you had me at "needle spout." Great way to get it only where you want it.

Looking forward to our next get together.