| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice for a nu-b
John Hall

Arlington, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 10:06 am    

I'm going to have to buy a steel quite soon. I can't stand not having one anymore. I had a Sho-Bud Maverick, which I "somewhat" learned to hack about on a couple of years ago. When I moved house, I sold it, fully intending to get something a little better sounding and less limited when things settled down. So, OK, things never do settle down and I'm in steel guitar withdrawal. I've gotta have one and pick up where I left off (pun intended).

My question to y'all is: would you recommend me getting a new, simpler, starter model (Carter, for example) and learning to play IT well, or should I dive into a more advanced, older steel? There have been some apparently spectacular deals on Buy and Sell recently.

Yeah, how long is a fence, right? What I think I'm looking for is the knees I was missing on the Mav. I'm not sure about the C6. I've never tried it. My musical taste is eclectic, ranging from Hank to jazz to classical.

Anyone with words of wisdom?

john

Just as a PS, I was gobsmacked when I heard what a genius like Lloyd G can do with an old E9 with 4 knees. The guy could probably make a slack clothesline sing. The new CD almost makes me want to give it all up and go learn the banjo.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 10:39 am    

I'd say: Go with a better steel, whether a D-10 or SD-10 is something no one can decide for you. But better is, well, better. They are easier to play, provide you with more versatility, better sound and you won't outgrow it. You're probably going to want a "professional" model someday anyway, right? So why procrastinate?
IMHO,
Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10
Boss RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500
Sho-Bud Pro II D10
Fender Stratocaster

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 10:44 am    

Hi, John.
I don't know what led me to post 1st as I usually let others answer this common but important question.
I started in the late '60's on what was then known as a Sho-Bud 6139. This particular one had the all wood neck that surrounded the pickup. Now having said that I started on a "beginner" (3x1) gtr., you're going to get those favoring present day beginner instruments which are 3x4 which if you get a new beginner gtr. it should be that configuration AT LEAST. Other's will tell you to get a used pro model, an S-10 or an SD-10 (E9 on a dbl. body), & I'm in that bunch. You get more for your money & "as a rule", pro guitars are easier to make pedal & knee changes.
Now, also having said that there are many good used makes out there, if it were me knowing what I know now I'd take a hard look at used MSA's. Lots of good steel for the $$. Sure, they're a little heavy, but the ones I owned in the mid '70's were rock solid, NO tuning problems, didn't break strings, & they were very easy to make changes when the time came, & it will for you.
Just my 2 cents.
Beginner gtrs. are fine, but IMHO you'll be happier with a used pro model if you decide you want to change your setup.
Considering that you're diving back in & now there are many configs. out there, you're right; there's a LOT of good music that can come out of an E9, 3x4-5.
Some will recommend universal tunings & I played one over 20 yrs. Now I prefer the D-10.
I'd say you're headed the right direction; start with an E9, 3x4+ & go from there.
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 11:23 am    

You can buy a used axe -- say 2 or 3 years old -- for about half the price of a new one.

You can sell a used axe -- say 8 or 10 years old -- for about half the price of a new one.

Do the math, then decide.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 11:31 am    

The price of anything is purely subjective AND relative.

Seek out the best D-10 you can find with at least 5 and 5. A pedal steel guitar has enough built-in frustrations without you having to fight things needlessly.

And buying something that is not up to date; or won't fulfill your growing needs, causes frustrations to surface quickly. And it is not unusual to hear one say,

"If only I had done..........."

May Jesus bless you in your quests,

carl
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 11:34 am    

John:
Since you're not starting completely from scratch (having owned a Maverick), I'd get a used pro model S-10 with 3 pedals, 5 knees. That could easily keep you busy for a couple of lifetimes
(3 lifetimes for me).

[This message was edited by Randy Pettit on 09 September 2003 at 12:35 PM.]

Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 11:48 am    

Ditto!
Follow the voices of experience if you can!
You will outgrow a starter and probably never get your money out or get a quality instrument from the forum or one of the dealers that regularly post here and grow into it or get your money out when and if you feel the need to change. I could have saved a bunch if I found the forums and SGN before I found my first steel!
Good Luck!
Mike Lewis
'72 Emmons
Nashville 1000
Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 2:10 pm    

It's not too late, buy a piano instead.
John Hall

Arlington, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 2:19 pm    

This place is amazing. You guys are so generous with your time, experience and advice. Thank you.

Seeing as I already have a piano, I'll butter up the missus for a week or two and then start looking for a good used D10 with 5 knees. Then, if I still sound like doodoo, I won't be able to blame it on the instrument.

john
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 12:48 am    

I would say, try and hold out for an 8+8. You'll want 3+4 for the E9th, and 5+4 for the C6th to get to what most people are playing these days.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 1:18 am    

John..considering that you even mentioned "C6"

Do move right to a D10, minimum 8+5 but I agree with David,,if you can find a D10 8+8 just do it..

The way I see it this is a purchase of some reasonable money..get the most for your money now..even if you do not touch the lower neck or extra levers for a year.

Also..the value of a fine used S10 and D10 are not that far apart, so the initial investment would not be that much greater.

good luck
tp
By the way..I can't believe you quit the NY Jets to join the Washington Redskins..and then kicked that Field Goal with only seconds to go to beat your old team mates..

oh wait..sorry..wrong John Hall..

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 September 2003 at 02:24 AM.]

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2003 8:03 am    

Buy a D-10, if you can at all afford it. They seem to be easier to resell down the line, if you want to, and all things considered, they are not that much more expensive to buy.

You don't need to go crazy with what you get, and you can always tinker with C6 later on, but it's an interesting diversion even if you don't end up playing jazz much. As a word of warning, the guitar you get will seem crummy at first no matter what it is... that happened to me, and it's taken some time to realize that the weak link was the human one sitting at it

Have fun, and good luck with it... but buying used (word of caution) means you either should buy from someone trustworthy, or be prepared to get a setup done down the road to make it play well. Since you're in Texas, that shouldn't be too big a deal.