| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin's Early George Strait Sound ?
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 7:37 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7uXaNuWNE

Always wondered what effect(s) he used? Some type of modulation for sure, chorus? What one?

I've got the guitar, the mesa pre, the mosvalve and the PV 1x12 cabs but never found the right effect that he used.

This is just about the effects used in All my X's, not "it's all in the players hands, Paul sounds like Paul, etc. Just the facts, Ma'am Smile

bob
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 7:51 pm    

I think Paul also had a TC Electronics 2290 in his rack which can do all delay, chorus type sounds with total transparency of tone. A top of the line effects unit. A Lexicon MPX 1 will get you close for much less money.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 7:53 pm    

i don't know what he used, but he sounded alot like that all through that period. ocean front property sounds the same to me.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 9:44 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
i don't know what he used, but he sounded alot like that all through that period. ocean front property sounds the same to me.

Yeah

That was part of his signature sound, then. Sometimes too much. I once told Paul that I loved his tone on the drinking champagne album and he told me he hated it; the engineer made him go direct! So what do I know Smile

bob
Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 9:54 pm    

Not trying to speak for Paul, but I think those early Strait records that Jimmy Bowen produced were done direct in conjunction with a lexicon effects unit. If I remember those were some of the first digital records done in Nashville(I think the board was a Mitsubishi 32 track?) Also, I think Steve Gibson went direct with a lexicon on guitar for those records too. Those guys always sound great, no matter what they play through!
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 10:12 pm    

Eddy Dunlap wrote:
Not trying to speak for Paul, but I think those early Strait records that Jimmy Bowen produced were done direct in conjunction with a lexicon effects unit. If I remember those were some of the first digital records done in Nashville(I think the board was a Mitsubishi 32 track?) Also, I think Steve Gibson went direct with a lexicon on guitar for those records too. Those guys always sound great, no matter what they play through!

Thanks, Love to have Paul chime in if he sees this.

Here is the direct recording (I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leEmAIyQIz0

bob
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 12:06 am    

How about this one?
I really like this effect too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPITJuKioY

Dag
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 12:10 am    

I tried to get that sound using a yahmaha xpx90 pitch shifting. Patch 23. Using its stereo l an r I changed pitch 6 cents on one side and the other dry. Using 2 amps with some delay. It worked well and I used it all the time. Then I got sick of it.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 7:16 am    

Paul also got that sound on another song on the "Oceanfront Property" record called "Am I Blue". Great steel sound and steel work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 8:36 am     Paul's early tone

I listened to Rodney Crowells' After all this Time( Grammy winner with Tony Brown) cut in '88, and there is a similarity in tone, it seems a little brighter, but I wonder if he was using the yellow/red guitar in those days. He may have had 2 different setups though, I remember him talking about having multiple setups for recording. I also think there was a lot of double tracking too.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 9:48 am     Chorus, Pitch Shift?, Mod Delay?

The tone is not always the same but there was always that underlying "Chorusy" sound to different degrees. Occasionally too much but always there. My main question is what is that sound? Chorus. Modulated delay, pitch shift, etc.

Here's another. Check the solo at 1:45 and 2:35!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4T6Rs_5Po

bob
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 10:49 am    

this won't answer your question (i'm curious too) but i use a DM10 ibanez stompbox 'modulation delay'. best thing i ever got. beautiful controllable digital delay and you can dial in little bits of modulation easily.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 4:29 pm    

Bowen definitely changing the way recording was done in Nashville during his reign...my favorite quote about him was attributed to Mel Tillis..."Jimmy Bowen came to town and taught me how to make a $35,000 record for $150 grand..."
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 5:54 am    

At one time both Sonny Garrish and Paul Franklin used a Roland Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble that was first introduced mid-70's. Paul Rivera had a mod for it. I don't know what recordings it was on or if Franklin used it on the Strait sides.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 6:24 am    

Is it possible that the effect was added post recording? Recall playing on a demo one time and the engineer had me record the track dry and added whatever effects that he wanted later.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 6:59 am    

I'd like the $75 Dan Echo at the record store....

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 7:21 am    

Do you really think those recordings were the way Paul laid them down ? Paul might of had oversight on the mix down . I have been in a few studios and the tracks are always laid down flat.
I think you will find that the efx's are added during the mix down. A studio like George Strait would use might have a million dollars worth of efx's.
I could be wrong. Maybe Paul or some other studio musician will chime in. Smile

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 8:11 am    

Bill Moran wrote:
Do you really think those recordings were the way Paul laid them down ? Paul might of had oversight on the mix down . I have been in a few studios and the tracks are always laid down flat.
I think you will find that the efx's are added during the mix down. A studio like George Strait would use might have a million dollars worth of efx's.
I could be wrong. Maybe Paul or some other studio musician will chime in. Smile

I don't know, Bill. Usually it's done dry but in Paul's case, he might have had a say. Really like to know what was in his Mesa/mosvalve rack at the time. I know he also had a stereo steel rack, too.

bob
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 9:15 am    

Bob. I have heard Paul play several times at steel shows. You have to listen hard to hear even a little reverb. Listen to some of Paul and Vince on You Tube sometime.
Paul has mostly been a tube guy. He has probably tried everything at some point just like us. lol

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 9:40 am    

Bill Moran wrote:
Bob. I have heard Paul play several times at steel shows. You have to listen hard to hear even a little reverb. Listen to some of Paul and Vince on You Tube sometime.
Paul has mostly been a tube guy. He has probably tried everything at some point just like us. lol

Actually he uses that Benado (sp?) pedal board a lot.

I loved when he just played through 2 pv 112 amps at Scotty's a few years back. But we digress, This thread is about his old GS sound.

bob
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 10:05 am    

I love the steel sound on George's olde songs, especially Ocean Front and all those of that era. I've tried to duplicate the sound on our Opry show with George's stuff but can't quit get that tone. I too would like to know how it's done but I'm with Bill Moran, I think it was probably done with studio effects.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 5:52 pm    

Eddy Dunlap wrote:

I read the same thing Eddy. I think Paul only used a Lexicon PCM 41 delay . I always liked the tone on these old Strait albums too.

Tony
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 6:10 pm    

Seriously folks, its a slight pitch change on one channel with a small delay of 26 millisecond mixed with a dry signalsignal.Add delay/reverb. That's it!.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2015 6:54 pm    

Don Drummer wrote:
Seriously folks, its a slight pitch change on one channel with a small delay of 26 millisecond mixed with a dry signalsignal.Add delay/reverb. That's it!.

I always figured there is always dry mixed in to keep it from sounding too pitchy. Where did you come up with those settings?

thx

bob
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2015 10:56 am    

Bob, I started using the pitch change patch in the late 80's sorts by accident. I used chorus for awhile but did not like the swirling/modulation part of it. Tried the pitch patch and altered the parameters till I got something close to the George Strait sound. I've been told JD
May-ness used one. There is a plus and negative feedback parameter that creates a slightly out of phase sound but no swirlyness. That sound was very big back then as in Highway 101, and other neotraditional artists of the time. BTW the XP 90 is still by many a sound man and is preferred over what came after it. I've had mine re done once via Yahmaha tech services.