| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to Pedal Steel
Cory Jensen

Milwaukee, WI
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 10:35 am    

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I just got my registration confirmation today.

I've been lurking for quite a while. Since, I've been researching purchasing my first pedal steel for a few months now.

I've played 6 string guitar for close to 15 years now. But never played pedal steel.

This forum has been a great help in my quest for a good first guitar. Now, I've just got to find the right one.

I'm trying to stay under $2000. I really like the looks and sound of the Sho-Buds. I was actually hoping to bid on the Pro II that Stephen O'Brien from the forum had up on eBay...but bidding went out of my price range.

Any advice you guys could offer to a newbie will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 11:39 am    

Welcome from a fellow Newbie!
This is the best forum around! Plenty of helpful folks.
I have had great advice from all sorts of folks from topics ranging from copedants to volume pedal problems.

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 12:00 pm    

What Grant said!
This is just the best place to be! Surrounded by great people in a superb forum.
Thank you b0b, and welcome Cory.
See you around.
Uffe
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 1:55 pm    

Welcome, Cory. For $2000 you have two choices. Buy a used steel 5 to 10 years old that is made by one of the main companies and is still in production (Carter, Emmons, Zum, Fessenden, Sierra, GFI, Mullins, etc.). Be sure it has a very standard setup with at least the minimal modern configuration: S10 4&4, D10 8&4, S12 universal 6&4). Buy it here on the Forum, you'll get a better price, and most everyone is dependable. The main thing is to be sure it is ready to play and won't need any configuration changes. Don't buy anything that is not standard. Even if the seller offers to put a standard copedent on it, many players are incabable of getting it all set and adjusted right.

The other alternative is to get something that is older, possibly out of production, and that may need some configuration changes. You don't want to go much over $1000 for one of these, because you will need to plan on sending it to a steel guitar shop for cleaning, adjustment, and refurbishing, and to get the copedent into a standard configuration for you.

Sho-Buds are a problem for your price range. They tend to be overpriced (especially on e-Bay) because of their looks and popular reputation. The older ones will usually need some expensive work to bring them up to modern playability and configuration standards. The newer ones, if they are in your price range at all, can have cheap and worn out components that will be expensive to replace. A good Pro II is ideal (new enough for modern playability, old enough for good quality), but as you saw, they get a good price.

The old Sho-Buds, Emmons, MSAs and Sierras (and a few others) can be fantastic guitars if they are refurbished to modern standards, but it is next to impossible for a beginner to fix these up on their own. If you have experienced players or a good steel shop nearby, that might be a different matter.

Get a real pedal steel volume pedal. That is an important source of the tone and sound of steel. That means a Sho-Bud, Emmons, or Goodrich pot pedal with a Matchbox impedance matcher, or one of the new active pedals by Hilton or Goodrich.

Get a real steel guitar amp, such as one of the Peavey Nashville line (there are other good brands, but they are expensive for beginners). A less desirable alternative is a high powered, clean playing guitar amp. But because of the way the volume pedal is used for sustain, and the need for clean chords with steel, most guitar amps are too weak and don't have enough clean headroom.

Rig it all up so you can practice with headphones, lock yourself in your practice room, and we'll see you later. Good luck.
Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 2:42 pm    

Are the Mullins guitars still being made?

Sorry... Couldn't help it.
Uffe
Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 2:55 pm    

Welcome Cory. I started with a Carter starter. It has quite good tone and plays very well also. If interested I still have it. Practice is the key. Set a resonable goal and learn it before going to the next step.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 3:31 pm    

Welcome to this Great Forum Cory
it's a gold mine here all right
Looks like David D has given you some good advice.
i'll recommend a used steel from a forum member too
you must get a chance to try different models or setups to get an idea tho'
S10, D10, S12, U12 ???
(i bought an ol'ShoBud Professional D10 3 years ago for 1400$ and i'm quite happy w: it
did'nt have to put any $$$ in it to make it any better either)
any steelers in your area ?
ask around here if you don't know of any
last but not least, when you get your steel a whole lot of practice (and playin' w: others) is the key to the hi-way
good luck on your venture

------------------
Steel what?

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 3:33 pm    

Cory,
Welcome !!....You are in the same position I was a few months ago ... I remember it well..
Remember one thing ...People sometimes don't ask questions because they think they are stupid questiions...The only stupid question is the one you DIDN'T ask !!...This forum is filled with some very knowlegable people that can help you on your way...Plenty of good opinons ...You will also start to see that everybody has their own way of playing, sitting, picking, sliding, and just about anything you can do with a pedal steel..That's what makes it so interesting..I've read some pretty strange things on this forum, but now that I have been playing for a while, they're not so strange anymore !!...Take your time, and move slow enough that you take in what you learn...Don't go crazy with a lot of gear that you think you need...Go slow, and practice with every chance you get ... and when you're done practiceing , practice some more !!.There are plenty of nice used steels out there and if you are any where nearby a pedal steel manuafacturer, go in and see what they have available.. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of playing a steel before you buy it, so you are now going to have to trust the person you are dealing with... Todays steels all sound pretty good...Some have features that you will like, and some will have features you don't....You will find what you like or don't like by trial and error...You will know when you hit the right steel !!..You will sit down to it, and it will just feel like your most comfortable pair of jeans !!...
Again, welcome aboard and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to ...That's how you learn !!....Good Luck....Jim
Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 6:26 pm    

Welcome Cory! I'm learning to play on a Sho~Bud LDG.Got it from Scotty's. Was nice to know they had gone through it and made necessary repairs.Was priced well within your range.Best of Luck from the Prarie Steeler...Pat
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 9:40 pm    

Cory,
Welcome. When you get a chance, read the articles on the Forum. Go to Links (at the top of the page) and then articles. http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/future1.htm This article in particular really helped me get started.

Ron

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone, MSA U12

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 12:34 am    

Hi Cory, welcome, this David D. agrees with the other David D. And Crowbear my buddy has said it well too. James Q is also on the mark.
If you wait till you find and get what you want you will most likely be quite happy.
The price range you have is enough to get a steel you will be happy with for the majority of your learning curve and beyond.

What type of music are you wanting to play?
This has a bearing on how you want your instrument set up. Stock is cool for learning
standard licks. It is good advice to get a stock set up to begin with.
But it also depends on the direction you intend to go.
Just Nashville E9 licks and an S-10 or sd-10 is just right for you.
Western swing and lots of blues you would want an D-10 with a C6 neck.
Or a hybrid like the Universal.
If you have a stock set up there is lots of TAB to learn from.

But also consider if it's a steel; you will want to add stuff to, or just flog and get another later.
The ease and cost of work is a factor.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 19 August 2003 at 01:49 AM.]

Bob Kononiuk

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 6:14 am    

You need to check out the special that Bobbe Seymour has on GFI's. For under $2000 you can get a brand new sd-10 AND an amp to go with it.

I went by his store last week to check them out and I was blown away by how good they sounded.

I initially did not consider that line becuase of the looks but after seeing how good it sounded and how easy it is to adjust things it only made sense that from a beginners standpoint to get a good new guitar that will be trouble-free.

Call Bobbe up and he will do you right.

Take care and God bless

Bob Kononiuk
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 6:33 am    

Hey Cory,
Welcome aboard. I share the same feeling with the others that this Forum is a fantastic place. Your gonna love. glad to see you with us !

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande
Cory Jensen

Milwaukee, WI
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 7:01 am    

Thanks everyone! It's great to know I can get some questions answered. I've not found many useful resources prior to this forum. It doesn't seem like any normal guitar stores know anything about pedal steel.

I'm in Chicago and I don't think there are any manufacturers or pedal steel stores nearby, but I could be wrong.

I'm going to try to digest what everyone has said...I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon.

Thanks again.

[This message was edited by Cory Jensen on 19 August 2003 at 09:13 AM.]

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 8:23 am    

You might find it useful to check www.onlinesteelers.com for guys in Illinois and/or the Chicago area. Folks tend to be really supportive with you; it's been useful to have people around who can help raise the curtains of my ignorance somewhat... also to help tinker if you have problems with the instrument. Good luck!
Cory Jensen

Milwaukee, WI
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2003 8:49 am    

Thanks for the link Nicholas, I hadn't seen that website before. It looks like there are quite a few steelers around Chicago.

I think I'll try to email a few of them.

[This message was edited by Cory Jensen on 19 August 2003 at 10:52 AM.]

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 7:12 am    

Cory: We welcome you to the wonderful world of steel guitar, as well.

If you wish, you are invited to list yourself on the OnLineSteelers.com Directory ...

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.SteelGuitar.com
www.SteelGuitarINFO.com
www.OnLineSteelers.com
[url=http://www.CarterStarter.com
]www.CarterStarter.com[/url]
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 7:52 am    

Cory, I don't know how far Chicgo is from St louis, but if possible you ought to go to the convention next week. You'll have a great time, hear a lot of fantastic players, meet a lot of really nice people, and see all the different instruments made by various manufacturers.
Cory Jensen

Milwaukee, WI
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 11:15 am    

Yeah, I really wish I could make it down to St. Louis. Unfortunately, I found out about it too late and have plans that I can't get out of.

I'm definitely going to try to make it next year. Hopefully, I'll even be playing some cool licks by then!

Oh, I've decided on a guitar too. I appreciate all the advice that everyone has given. I've decided on a Sho-Bud LDG 3+5 that Skip Mertz has for sale.

I think the E9 neck should be enough for me right now as I'm not interested in playing jazz and I can't even confidently say that I know what swing is, and those are the two styles everyone says the C6 is needed for. I'm really just interested in playing country, alt-country and some rock 'n roll.

A lot of people suggested getting a later model guitar to avoid some hassles, etc. But, I decided since seeing the Sho-Buds in action is what made me want to get a steel in the first place, that it'd be neat to have one. It'll keep me inspired to play. Plus, it'll be a learning experience.

Also, as everyone has attested to, your first steel is very rarely your last if you stick with it. Maybe in a few years I'll be good enough (and rich enough) to justify buying one of those really cool new MSA Milleniums. We'll see.

Thanks again everyone!

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 12:04 pm    

LDG - should do the trick

Lloyd Green just put out an album recorded entirely on LDG #0001

I'd say it's stood the test of time....
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 12:31 pm    

YES!
JE:-)>
Doug Brumley

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 12:42 pm    

Congratulations on the LDG purchase, Cory. I'm picking up my recently acquired LDG (3+4) this weekend, and am ready to embark on the whole learning process as well. I agree that these sharp-looking Sho-Buds definitely make you want to have a seat and start playing, so we each should have plenty of motivation to practice. Let the frustration begin!
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 1:07 pm    

You can play plenty of jazz and swing on the E9 neck anyway. I think Lloyd might be able to pick a tune or two in that genre Welcome to the wonderful and wacky brotherhood of steelers!

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

www.thenightshiftband.net

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 1:37 pm    

Hi Cory,
Congrats on the SHO~BUD! Aint they purty?
I started out on a GFI-S10 and was very happy with it....untill a good friend of mine got a line on a SHO~BUD that I just couldn't say no to.I just love the sound,the feel,and the way they look with that laquer
finish!!Why just the other night my wife said
"remember when you used to look at me like that?" I said "no"........I dont remember
much after that..........but...I sure love my SHO~BUD!!!!Good luck and be sure to give us all the details when you recieve your new steel.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2003 6:21 am    

Cory -

Congrats on the Sho-Bud. Common wisdom may be that a newer guitar would have been less hassles, but I agree with what you did. Go with your gut. When you sit down at a guitar you love, it will make a difference in your playing. Plus, if you ever do decide to sell it, it will have better resale value, dollar for dollar, than a new guitar.

Have fun and welcome to the world of pedal steel....there's no turning back!