| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where Were You the Day the Music Died?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 10:04 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D74KZNMes

It was on this day in 1959 that the plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and JP Richardson crashed in Iowa.

Do you remember where you were that day?
I was at school when someone told me in the playground. Several of today's stars who were unknown at the time were in the audience waiting for him to arrive when the news broke out, including Bob Dylan and Bobby Vee. In fact, Bobby Vee and his group were asked to fill in at the venue and did. Garrison Keillor, in his memoirs, recalled that he was at school at the time, and that he and two of his friends were so upset that they left school and drove to the scene of the accident.

(This post is legitimately in the Gone Home section because Buddy is known to have played the steel guitar.)

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 3 Feb 2015 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 11:33 am    

My parents and kindergarten teacher didn't mention it.

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 12:10 pm    

I was in first grade in New Jersey and it never got mentioned...

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 12:57 pm    

I was 13, and in Jr High School, trying (unsuccessfully) to play the bass in the school orchestra.

They made movies about Buddy Holly and Richie Valens. The should complete the trilogy and make one about the Big Bopper.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 1:01 pm    

'The Big Bopper' would be cool.
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 6:16 pm    

The Buddy Holly story is on TV tonight.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 6:56 pm    

I was in the 4th grade and didn't hear anything about it.
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 7:34 am     Vegas

I was stationed at a Marine Corps Base near Las Vegas and remember it well.
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 9:37 am    

I was 11 years old and in the 6th grade at Rosewood Elementary School.

The BIG NEWS in Los Angeles was the death of our local hero Ritchie Valens. I also liked the Big Bopper and had his album, but I knew nothing about Buddy Holly at the time. He just wasn't in my radar in 1959. I started listening to him mid-late 60's, and actually preferred Rick Nelson's earlier stuff with James Burton to Holly's.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 9:48 am    

I was also 11 years old and can't remember if anything was mentioned about it on the radio. I was taking lap steel lessons during that time period.

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 4 Feb 2015 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 10:20 am    

I was still in liquid form, when you boys were in uniform! Very Happy Very Happy

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 12:37 pm     a week

Larry I spent a week in Kearney, NE one night. Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 8:34 pm    

The day that the music died? Let's see...That would have been when Rascal Flatts got their record deal???
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 4:04 am    

I would have been nineteen years old and in the US Army stationed in Neu Ulm, Germany and playing lead guitar in a band called the "Gashaus Ramblers"....JH in Va.

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 10:56 am    

I believe this is a photo of a handbill/flyer passed out to advertise the show, and not a poster.

Darrel Graves

Port Neches Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 11:49 am    

I was 10 years old and found out about it the next day when they discovered the crash.... The Plane actually crashed a little after 1 am, just after take-off, during a snow storm....Now that was real MUSIC back then.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 12:38 pm    

Quote:
The day that the music died? Let's see...That would have been when Rascal Flatts got their record deal???

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I can think of several others that fit that bill as well and I don't need Don McLean to tell me when it happened..
David Milliken

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 3:40 pm    

Fifty-six years ago I was home and sick in bed. I heard the news on the radio and was devastated like everyone else. Today, guess what? I am home sick in bed!

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 3:40 pm    

Fifty-six years ago I was home and sick in bed. I heard the news on the radio and was devastated like everyone else. Today, guess what? I am home sick in bed!

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 3:55 pm    

Call me dense, call me thick, call me whatever you want, but, I don't remember that the lyrics of that song even mentioned what it was about. I have no recollection whatsoever where I was that day. I only recently learned there even WAS a connection to some real-life event.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 4:47 pm    

I lived in Scotch Plains, New Jersey at the time, was four, and probably outside in the snow with my older brothers, and likely about to get sick like David Milliken, from being in the cold wet snow of the Northeast.

With two brothers, four and eight years older, I gleaned on to rock and roll at a pretty early age, and I might have recognized the hit songs, but likely didn't yet know the names of those whom perished in the crash.

Alan, am I mistaken, or do you start a similar thread every year in remembrance?

Because I seem to recall in the past a thread here on the subject and it reminded me about being in high school in San Jose in the early '70s and a "hipster" English teacher (who later got fired for having sex with one of the senior girls - and she was hot) had us do a study on the Don McLean song, his thinking was that it was a fine piece of musical poetry, except I remember how the class bored the crap out of me, and why weren't we studying Dylan?

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 6 Feb 2015 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 12:47 am    

I was a sophomore in high school.It was a wet snowy gray afternoon,I think I heard about it on American Bandstand.BH was one of my early heroes because he played hot lead guitar on a Strat,he could sing,AND he was a nerdy-looking guy who wore big glasses.Big morale boost for all us nerdy-looking guys who wore big glasses.Two weeks later my Dad took me to E.U. Wurlitzer in Boston and I came home with a brand-spanking-new Fender Esquire and Champ amp.Wasn't a Strat,but it was the brand Buddy played! Cool

Didn't feel quite so bad after that.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 6:53 am     where were you when the music died?

The name Buddy Holly is still alive and well. I live near Greeneville, TN a small town. But we do have a state of the art performing arts center. The stage production of The Buddy Holly Story played there last week. I couldn't make it, but I was just so glad to see Buddy has not been forgotten.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 8:19 am    

I don't think there is any danger of Buddy Holly being forgotten.

Even a fair amount of young people are familiar with some of his big songs.

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 9:15 am    

After all these years these three " Icon Super Star", Buddy Holly,Big Bopper & Richie Valens here in 2015 are still bigger than life. See,being dead not so bad. You can still touch lives & stay alive if you do something great for the world to remember you by. Music is the real way of life when it's in your blood. Winking Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the pigeons -facebook.