| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ok who has the Marlen single finger pedal Steels
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 9:01 am    

I'm on a quest.
I love these old Marlen's and the greatest thrill in my restoration work; as been working on these particular models.
These are the single finger pull-release mechanism that are the biggest pain in the ____? to Work on; but some of the best sounding/looking steels I've had my hands on......and have found the most rewarding work for me to bring them back to life.
Who has them??? and are you in need of it to play right again???
I just happen to have some open space on my Floor Right now....
Also if you bring it to St. Louis....I'll take it back with me in my Jeep...as will beat the cost of shipping to me...
Nervertheless.....I'm not particularly looking for work(I also do 4 other things..ha)...But mainly wondering who all has one and do you have pictures to send me??? I'm arranging a little History folder here.....In memory of the great Leonard Stadler and the Marlen Company.
Here's what they look like>

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 9:23 am    

I have the T-10 with 11 and 3 made 11-25-68 that needs a slight restoration.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 9:24 am    

I'm starting to miss the one you sold me, Ricky. It played like butter and sounded fantastic, but it was too limited mechanically for the music I wanted to play. So I sold it.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 11:08 am    

Quote:
needs a slight restoration

Ha....Chas; there is nothing "slight" about that T-10 pal.....Oh my....I would bust everyone of my knuckles working on that one....and you have got to be kidding...as you are a wonderful craftsman my brother.

b0b; man I know what you mean. I was just talking to Gary Carpenter the other day...and that speedy west Marlen came up again....as we were discussing the greatest steels we've ever run across....
I actually found more music on that Speedy West Marlen; than I do on 11 knee levers...ah...ha.
Here's a reminder....

Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 10 August 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 7:39 pm    

wish I had bought that guitar.I bid on it but didn` won.

------------------
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 3:46 am    

I have an old '60s vintage Marlen that I bought many years ago. Though it was a nice looking guitar (from the top), it was obviously what I call a "garage-built" when you turned it over. Though the mechanism is similar to the one pictured, it had no center support (mandatory with those pencil-thin crossrods), and there are no aluminum supports at the ends of the crossrods, either. The bushings had to cost at least a penny each, and go right into the wood. All the holes in the guitar look to have been done with a hacksaw blade, they're quite sloppy. I tore the thing apart with the intention of fixing it up, but then saw it would have to be re-engineered to be a precise, reliable guitar. I don't even know if it would be worth the effort, with it's current-day (single riase/lower) limitations.

Don't get me wrong, from about 1970 on, Len built a nice-looking, and nicely designed guitar (like the one pictured). The earliest ones, however, really left a lot to be desired.
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 8:58 am    

Sometimes I wonder if there would be a market for new "limited" pedal steels - guitars that were designed from the start to be single raise or lower, and played super smooth because of that simplicity. Some would pooh-pooh them, I know, but would some pickers embrace them because of the tone and feel despite the limitations?

------------------
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 9:39 am    

b0b, since most all guitars built today are super-smooth without any limitations whatsoever, who would buy a new guitar that played like everyone else's but could only perform 1/2 to 1/4 of the capabilities of every other guitar?

The only vintage-style guitar being made today, and there's only a couple left to be built, is the Warnik-Peterson PA Reissue. And that puppy is single raise/lower, but smooth it ain't... just like a Bigsby.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 12:22 pm    

Ricky restored a Marlen SD10 for me, and I'm thrilled with it. The guitar was a basket case when I got it, but now it's playing like it was meant to... So, if any of you guys have these great old guitars and want them to live again, give Ricky a try. You'll be pleased. And I gotta tell you, that single-finger Marlen sound is beautiful!

Rick
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 2:10 pm    

Thanks Herb-We are planning to have "P.A. Re-Issue" number 8 at Scottys in St Louis for delivery to a customer-I hope everyone gets to see it-We will only build one more of these with the remaining parts-Last chance for some player to get one! Ricky I look foreward to meeting you in person at Scottys-stop by the Peterson tuners booth and see that white all pull Marlen (I set up) that John Norris has now and has been using as the demo guitar for the new Peterson V-SAM tuner
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 6:59 pm    

Herb, with all due respect, I've never played a modern all-pull guitar that came close to the "feel" of that Marlen. It's like the pedal is connected directly to the string. Smoother than anything else I've ever sat down at.

------------------
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 9:46 am    

Why Certainly Paul; I look forward to meeting you and seeing that Marlen.....I have been a big fan of you and your extream knowledge and sharing of.
See ya there.
Oh b0b what a perfect explaination of the action of these Marlen's. "The pedal seems to be hooked directly to the String".....Man that is truely the best way to explain that.....Awesome.
Ricky
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 9:32 pm    

My first good guitar was a Marlen I got from Clifford Kirk in Kalamazoo. It sure did sound good but I don't miss the mechanics at all- seemed like I spent as much time under it with an allen wrench than I did on top with a bar! I swapped it and $100 for a brand new Emmons in Columbia, S.C. I wonder if it's still kicking around down south here somewhere...

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 10:17 pm    

Quote:
I don't miss the mechanics at all- seemed like I spent as much time under it with an allen wrench than I did on top with a bar!

Mark; this can be true and I didn't mean to imply that these Marlen's are a pain to keep in tune......they are just a pain to set up proper mechanics.
After I set up these single finger Marlen's; You will never have to even look under the guitar again for the rest of it's life....and It will go and come back perfectly forever...>but if the player goes under there and turns even just one screw....I can't guarentee that anymore
Ricky