| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country's Family Reunion / Ray Price
Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 11:03 am    

First of all, I want to thank Frank and all those on the thread about BIG “E” & the RFD Shows for the nice words. You guys have always been so nice to me over the years, and I appreciate it so much.
It was an honor to play in front of Buddy, and yes, I was “A Nervous Wreck”! However, he was very gracious. And yes, “He is the Master”. Not sure if it will make it on the TV portion, but Bill (Anderson) did talk to Buddy later on in the show. It’s pretty cool.

The shows you see on RFD TV are actually infomercials for DVD Sets of some of the best entertainment and listening pleasure a real country music fan can buy; “COUNRY’S FAMILY REUNION”. They put together an hour or so of the entire show to give folks a taste of what is on the DVD’s.

The “Ray Price Tribute” may be one of the best ones we have ever recorded. It was so special to me, and probably many of you, because it’s the music I love and grew up with. If I was going to buy one set of these shows, that would be the one.

Thanks to all you folks that buy the DVD’s. CFR is a blessing to all of those who love Country Music. Larry Black, the owner of the show, treats all the artists with so much respect. He starts every taping day with scripture and prayer. As the old Bill Anderson & Roy Acuff song asks, “I Wonder if God Likes Country Music”, well, obviously He loves it.

Terry Choate, the talent coordinator and one of the producers of the show, is also an incredible record producer, and has held some of the highest jobs in the industry. He is also a steel player who’s motto is “TURN THE STEEL UP”!. When you hear the mixes of the show, it's obvious that the folks in the control room listen to him.

Hopefully, with the support of people like you, we can continue taping the COUNTRY'S FAMILY REUNION for years to come.
THANKS AGAIN

(Check out the website) http://www.cfrvideos.com/
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 11:34 am    

Thanks Mike! So far there have been three parts aired, are there more coming up? The five DVD set can hold a lot more than the three hours we've seen. Do you know how much more and what else is on the DVDs?
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 12:15 pm    

Nice post - thanks for the "inside look," Mike.

To play Buddy Emmons in front of Buddy Emmons takes courage and world-class talent: you really nailed it. Congrats!
Mike Johnson

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 1:56 pm    

Thx so much Frank, it was a fun day.
Jim, there is still lots of great stories and music on the Ray Price Shows.
There is a DVD set that we recorded the same week entitled HONKYTONK that has many of the same artists. It is really good too. Not sure when it will
be available.
James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 2:08 pm    

Mike, if you were a nervous wreck, you hid it well! Fantastic playing by you and all the gang.
I especially enjoyed Larry's Country Diner with you and Rhonda. Thanks for keeping it country.
NRA Life member
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 2:22 pm    

Mike, I've seen most of the Reunion shows, this series is the best one of all! It's great to hear all these wonderful songs, and it's such a pleasure to hear and watch you play them. Smile Smile
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 2:25 pm    

Mike,
One of the main reasons I watch that show is to hear the band play and play so professionally. You are an outstanding steel guitarist and you play with such passion.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the show, but, you are definitely the highlight for me.
I could feel your apprehension about playing in front of Buddy, especially playing Night Life, but, you did it and did it well. I certainly know I couldn't do that in front of him.
So, keep up the great work! I look forward to hearing more of your playing.
Sincerely,
John De Maille. PSGA- VP
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 2:52 pm    

Mike, great job on all the shows, but the Ray Price tribute is without doubt the best of the best. I respect your playing as much as any one out there. Hope to see you in Dallas. Larry
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 3:52 pm     Cfr

top notch show Mike and you are such

a great player!

always a pleasure to see and hear you play that

red PP Emmons

mike Very Happy
Mike Johnson

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 6:48 pm    

You guys are so nice. Thanks so much
Everyone in the band worked really hard on the music for the show. Terry wanted us to make the songs unique to the artist with a serious "tip of the hat" to the original.Hank Singer and I worked hours on those string parts. Hoot and Hank would play 2 Parts and I would try to add the 3rd part on Steel. I thought it turned out pretty good.
I tried to play the intros to the shuffles like Buddy & Jimmy Day. However, no one can play it like those guys did.
Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 7:18 pm    

Mike..
Thanks for all the great 'country' music.. There isn't a whole lot of it out there, but we always know when you're part of it; it's going to be real.. Lots of great singing and plenty of steel out front. Just got Gene Watson's "Hero" CD --- great stuff..

Thanks..
Mike..
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 3:31 am    

Gene's manager brought the DVD set to the bus last night. Pretty sure we're gonna wear it out. We caught #1 a couple of weeks ago as we were heading out after a show. Man, y'all just sound awesome. Have a great cruise.....
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 4:45 am    

James Marlowe wrote:

I especially enjoyed Larry's Country Diner with you and Rhonda. Thanks for keeping it country.

The show with Rhonda was great, but the show where Mike played "A-11" with Darryle Singletary is my favorite.

Two-chord bliss from a red push-pull through an old LTD 400. As Larry said: "now that's Country."
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 4:56 am    

Mike we have purchased many of these DVD set. Over the years I have been lucky enough to call some of these artist friends. We will be ordering the Ray Price set. My two favorite shows were when Vinny broke down in tears talking about the lost of Papa John. Plus the Don Helms set. We are losing so many it hard to watch sometimes. Gone from this earth but not forgotten. Hope to see you and Joannie soon travel safe and God bless.

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 5:53 am    

So many great musicians born and raised in Alabama. The first time I heard you Mike I knew you were going to be really good. You exceeded my expectations. I am very proud of the way you have mastered not only this instrument, but musical knowledge. This whole group is something amazing. Cool Floyd
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:40 am    

Mike, thank you for this post. I would trade my wifes' yellow cat for a ticket to a taping!

I enjoy the show very much and the Ray Price series in particular. We should all buy the DVD's if we want to continue to see great programming like this.

Now who is this young Mo Pitney fella? I was pretty impressed by him.
"Teach Your Children Well"
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 9:20 am    

My folks got me the discs for my birthday and they are great. My only question though not music related is why wasn't Cliff Price, who is Ray's son on the show?
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 9:31 am    

Mo Pitney is a new artist on curb records great singer and songwriter. He and Bill Anderson write alot together!!!!! He is COUNTRY!!!!! Chubby Howard

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2015
Tim Tyner

Ayden, North Carolina U.S.A
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 2:07 pm    

Mike a fantastic job of playing these Ray Price classics.You are certainly one of my all time favorite players.I know you don't remember but I met you in 1982 at a Bill Anderson show in Roanoke Rapids NC.I got an autograph that I still have.When I commented on how great that red Emmons sounded you told me you had just picked it up in Burlington that morning and that was your first gig with it.Even though I know you must have been tired you were nice and patient.I will never forget that.
Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:42 pm    

Thanks Mike for not only your hands and mind but your Big Heart as well. If the feeling aint in you it wont come out, will it guys? Bet Buddy knows you don't take a back seat to anyone! Your wife and brothers are the same way and I personally thank you for all you do to keep real music alive and well..hope to see you again at the Inn.
Mike Johnson

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 8:27 pm    

Thanks again to all you guys for the nice posts.
I'm going to pass your Country Family Reunion comments along to Larry Black. Hopefully he will continue doing these shows for a long time.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 3:51 am    

Great show, and music....very well done....Lot's of Steel.....good to see Big E there too..I miss seeing and hearing Buddy ....as he was a big part of Ray's music.....
Mike , you taste, tone, is second to no one... great Playing!!!!!!
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 7:51 am    

The actual DVDs are worth double the price. Larry Black has sure done tons for Country musics past and maybe the future of it too. I would like to see Mike at more steel shows, nice to see little brother on bass.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 1:32 pm    

Hey Mike,
I am sure that our friend "E" was pleased with anything you played, yep, even Night Life.

You have to remember how I introduced you at the Dallas show in 2013. I still believe that.

See you soon in TX.

Love ya pal,
Bill
Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 4:00 pm    

Mike, you made all these singers sound so great. Your playing lifted them to the top.
I still enjoy your CD, that we traded a number of years ago in Dallas.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars