| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dual pickups on PSG
Paul Osbty

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2003 9:39 pm    

On the No Peddlers side of the fence, the Fender models with 2 pickups (single coil, humbucking arrangement) are coveted for their sound. I own one and agree.

As I scheme to get a S10, I wonder why I haven't seen any PSG with 2 pickups used in a like manner? There seems to be room for an additional pickup. The tonal flexibility would be welcome. I'll assume most PSG pickups are single coil.

Has anyone seen or added a 2nd pickup to a PSG?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2003 11:48 pm    

I added a 2nd pickup on my white MSA and didn't like it. it didn't make much difference in the sound, and got in the way of both my right hand and my bar when I played up the neck. I eventually took it off and replaced the neck, which I had mangled in order to accomodate the 2nd pickup.

Fortunately Tom Bradshaw just happened to have a spare white MSA neck lying around.

I strongly recommend against putting a second pickup in your guitar.

Peter

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 1:11 am    

I put an Emmons Dual coil with a switch on my Fender Artist S10.
This gives me plenty tonal variations with one pickup.
I also have a Danny Shields pickup on my Remington U12. It has a 3 position switch: Humbucker, Single Coil 1, Single Coil 2. Again, lots of variations.
I have not yet explored a Phase reversal switch. I dont think that is needed.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 2:03 am    

Paul,
I too love the sound of my Stringmaster's dual pickups. I think a lot of it comes from the clever wiring scheme. Being able to blend-in the second pickup, and effectively go from single coil to humbucker (and use all the great tones in between), is where it really shines. Simply using a dual coil is not enough.
I think Mullen has made some dual pickup guitars, although I've never seen one.
Maybe someone could build a super low profile pickup that could be added to a guitar, with no modification to the neck or body. Jerry Wallace where are you?!?
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 8:01 am    

I seem to remember a thread a while back on this subject, and (don't quote me on this) it might have said something about Paul Franklin having a guitar with a second pickup; I think the pickup could be angled back and forth to change the characteristics of the sound. It was at least on a Franklin guitar, I'm pretty sure. Someone who knows better might want to chime in and bail me out here, though
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 8:27 pm    

HI PAUL,

Jason Lollar here in Washington state makes dual 10 string pickups(stringmaster type) with the blend control for non-pedal steel guitars. I don't know if he would do a custom set of pickups for a pedal steel.

ROGER
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 9:15 pm    

Peter

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 12:16 am    

Wow! An blonde 11-stringer and a black "No-Bud".
Chas, what do the pickups at the end of the fretboards sound like?

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Paul Osbty

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 1:07 am    

It does seem there is ample room for placement. I have always liked the sound characteristics of pickups closer to the neck (on standard 6 string electrics and basses). Chas, it would be interesting to hear what you can get from those.

Roger, thanks for the tip!
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 10:11 am    

My main guitar is the Professional. The bridge pickups are Danny Shields Bigsby copies (10 on E9, 11 on C6) and the neck pickups are 705's. The bridge is always on and I blend in the 705's to fill out the sound, they make a noticable difference.

The no Bud Super Pro, which was #2 off the assembly line has lost its vintage collectability, if it ever had one. The necks are solid aluminum, Kline tuners with brass fingers and nut on E9, aluminum on C6. It now has EMG pickups, which I dislike, except that they're quiet and they'll cut through a rack of effects and still sound like a steel guitar. The neck pickups are Emmons and because they can't be "summed" with active pickups without a mixer have their own output. By themselves, the sound of a neck pickup on steel guitar is a little too mid-rangey for my taste. Where they were useful was with a stereo pedal and they went to a fuzz box to blend in a little grit with the clean sound. The other pickups are MIDI and I made the E9 pickup out of a couple of Rolands.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 10:16 am    

Quote:
EMG pickups, which I dislike, except that they're quiet and they'll cut through a rack of effects and still sound like a steel guitar.
Dislike? Isn't that a good thing?