| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice Regimen?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 12:19 pm    

It has occurred to me that I might get better faster if I organized my practice time more efficiently. Right now, I practice a little reading of sheet music, copping licks, some of Joe Wright's picking patterns, some bar movement patterns up and down on single strings, playing patterns with a metronome, and some "free playing", but it's real diffuse. Do you guys have some sort of timed schedule or method to attack technical weaknesses and evaluate your progress?
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 12:30 pm    

I practice every time I get the chance. My job keeps me pretty busy though. I'm taking all next week off so I can do a little woodshedn'

Wayne Baker
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 2:19 pm    

I dont know if this will help or not,but I get up early(4:00am)dont have to be to work
till 7:00am.Only have a 20 minute drive to work.This gives me plenty of time to practice
alittle while (unpluged) of course!I seem to be sharper and things I'm trying to work out just seem to come a little faster for some reason.Not to mention makeing a wonderful
and relaxing way to start the day!!It sure makes me smile a little more and brings a lot more enjoyment out of playing.And isn't that what its all about?Try it.It will put a smile on your face too!!!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 5:07 pm    

varies from day to day: I try to spend a little time building right hand technique wit Joe wright stuff regularly; Some times do thirds and sixth interval scales (e9)over rythm trax on loop; Try to keep memorizing and building song repetoir, intros/outros, solos; spend some time on single note soloing/scales. Drawing from various courses like Emmons, J.Newman. One of the most valuable bits of advice I took from this forum was to spend time practicing DRY-no efx. sometimes no volume pedal either. It really helps bring together ones tone, intonation,etc. In general, I think Reece Anderson hit it right about having a game plan and goal for practice sessions.

[This message was edited by Steven Welborn on 25 July 2003 at 06:19 PM.]

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2003 6:50 pm    

My practice includes a drum machine or a rhythm track almost always. The drum machine has some interesting patterns and is less boring than a metronome. Rhythm track helps me to stay on pitch.

I start out with triplets on the right hand up and down the fret. Then pick/slide triplets up and down. If I feel frisky I'll turn up the speed during the session. Goal is to get the right hand doing all the right things.

Then I work on a song that I am trying to learn. Making a number chart of the song really helps. I'll work on different chord voicings, etc.

Then I finish by free lancing with rhythm tracks by finding the key, playing fills, endings, etc. Like I was sitting in with a band.

Then I give up and get ready to put everything on EBay!.

then try again.

------------------
Stringmaster T8, Benoit 8, National Tricone, MSA U12

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 10:11 am    

I find that the more I practice with Joe Wright's Technique Bundle, the faster my hands get. It sounds like crap when I'm practicing, so I use phones. It's not fun - it's more like an endurance workout - but it really pays off when it's time to play some music.

I have the whole Technique Bundle, but I've never been able to get past lesson #2. This stuff is hard.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 3:22 pm    

Hi Bobby, have you been working with Joes' foot pedal stuff? If so has it yielded noticeable improvement in footskill? I've only worked with the right hand stuff and agree completely on all points. I ask because my feet are the large flat sort and givin to cramp at times. they could be hopeless. just curious...thanks.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2003 8:16 pm    

I haven't got that far yet. I always run out of practice time before I finish the second chapter!