| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginners Notes #297-Basic chord movement
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:54 am    

I've been following another thread asking questions about chords/how they are formed. I could have jumped that thread and stuck some of this in there. I thought better. This is very basic material, but not the beginning theory of movement and chord structure. I'll leave that to someone else. I will say that one of the best charts of basic chord make up for E9th pedal steel that I have seen, was done by our forum friend Will Cowell.

Here are some basics cord movements, key of C... Notice the G aug cord near the end. Listen how that fits as a passing cord.

Tab:
....I...iii...vi...I...IV....vi...ii...IV....V....IV....V....IV....V7...Gaug...I...
1_________________________________________________________________________________
2_________________________________________________________________________________
3___3B___3____1______________________________3____________________________________
4___3____3____1E___3____1____1E______________3____4F____3_________________________
5___3A___3A___1____3A___1____1____1A___1_____3____4A____3____4A____3____2A____3A__
6__________________3B___1____1____1 ___1__________4_____3____4_____3____2B____3B__
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________1____1_____________________4F_________2F____3___
9__________________________________________________________________3______________
10________________________________________________________________________________

"The Chart", and basically where the tab above came from. Learn these chords in all keys by moving them up or down the fret board.

Tab:
Key of C ()=7th
.......I chord......|....IV chord.....|.......V chord......|.......ii chord..........
1___________________|_________________|____________________|_________________________
2___________________|_________________|____________________|_________________________
3___3B____8____11___|__1____8B____4___|__3____6_______10B__|___1_____6_____8B________
4___3_____8____11F__|__1____8_____4F__|__3____6F______10___|___1_____6E____8C________
5___3A____8____11A__|__1____8A____4A__|__3____6A______10A__|___1A____6_____8C________
6___3B____8____11___|__1____8B____4___|__3____6_______10B__|___1_____6_____8B________
7___________________|_________________|____________________|_________________________
8___3_____8____11F__|__1____8_____4F__|__3____6F______10___|___1_____6E____8_________
9___________________|_________________|____________________|_________________________
10__3A____8____11A__|__1____8A____4A__|__3____6A______10A__|___1A____6_____8_________

.......iii chord.......|.....vi chord......|vii chord (dim/V7)|.....aug chord.......
1______________________|___________________|__________________|_____________________
2______________________|___________________|__________________|_____________________
3____3_____8_____10B___|__1_____3B_____8___|__3_____6_____9___|__3B____7B____11B____
4____3_____8E____10C___|__1E____3C_____8___|__3F____6F____9F__|__3F____7F____11F____
5____3A____8_____10C___|__1_____3C_____8A__|__3_____6_____9___|__3A____7A____11A____
6____3_____8_____10B___|__1_____3B_____8___|__3_____6_____9___|__3B____7B____11B____
7______________________|___________________|__________________|_____________________
8____3_____8E____10____|__1E____3______8___|__3F____6F____9F__|__3F____7F____11F____
9______________________|___________________|__________________|_____________________
10___3A____8_____10____|__1_____3______8A__|__3_____6_____9___|__3_____7A____11A____

.......Maj7 chord.......|......7th chord.....|..9th..|...m6...
1_______________________|____________________|_______|_______________________________
2_______________________|____________________|_______|_______________________________
3____3_____8______10B___|__1B_____8_____11___|___1B__|___6B__________________________
4____3_____8E_____10____|__1E_____8_____11F__|___1E__|___6E__________________________
5____3A____8______10A___|__1______8_____11___|___1A__|___6A__________________________
6____3_____8______10B___|__1B_____8_____11___|___1B__|___6B__________________________
7_______________________|____________________|_______|_______________________________
8____3_____8E_____10____|__1E_____8_____11F__|___1E__|___6E__________________________
9________________(10)___|________(8)_________|_______|_______________________________
10___3A____8______10A___|__1______8_____11___|___1A__|___6A__________________________
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2014 5:46 am     Added value!

Have another look. I've added "The Chart"...
Joe Huggins

Bear River City,Utah, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 7:16 pm    

Dick,
I think I was involved in that thread.You should have jumped in and just pointed to this. Its taken until now for me to run across this and it is valuable to this beginner. Thanks for taking the time.
Joe Huggins
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 7:32 pm     Thanks Joe...

Very Happy
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 10:05 am    

This is a huge help...........thank you.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 11:23 am     Thank you...

We need to thank Will Cowell for this. Information he provided me, prompted this tab. It is not new, but for a perpetual beginner like myself, it needs to be revisited from time to time. Thank you, Will and thank you Ray. Glad you stopped by.

The Beginners Notes series are full of these little tidbits. Enjoy... Smile