| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  American Strat vs American Deluxe Strat
Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 5:25 am    

Hope this is the right room to post this question. Like many PSG players on this site, I play 6 string and my daily player is an American Telecaster. Lately I have become interested in owning a Stratocaster and as a result, am spending hours on the web trying to decide what model is the right model. The American deluxe version has a compound radius finger board (I think I would like this feature), noiseless pickups (some say they are tone dull), locking tuners and S1 switching. It all sounds great but nothing beats hearing from someone who has owned/played one. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Alvin

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 4:56 pm    

The compound radius fingerboard is nice,but if you're starting with a 9 1/2 radius at the nut it'll only be a subtle change unless you spend most of your time above the 12th fret.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 8:41 pm    

Anderson Drop Top.....THE strat

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 1:43 pm    

If it sounds good and plays good to you then it is a good sounding and good playing guitar.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 2:15 pm    

Over many a while, I've stuck together quite a few guitars using Warmoth and USA Custom guitar wood. On Warmoth, a 10" to 16" compound radius is the standard and a straight-radius fingerboard is the upcharge! And I do pay the $35 in order to get a straight 12" radius. The reasons are kind of obscure, on a really flat neck I find it almost impossible to fret two strings at once with my little finger, and I can't seem to get a finger IN there as well - but different people's hands bend differently. The whole radius thing came up because original old Fenders had a 7.5" radius, which got really weird high up the neck. But unless you're shooting for extremely low shreddy action, the compound radius doesn't change much around. I do use quite high action, but for tonal reasons.
Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2015 7:02 am     American Deluxe Telecaster

Well, I bought the American Deluxe Telecaster. Candy apple red with a maple neck. The tone is different than my American Tele. The bridge pickup is less tele. The intro to Folsom Prison is not as inspiring as when played with single coil PU's. The bridge position PU on the Deluxe has a lot more warmth. On the standard guitar, the sound is quite different between the neck pu and the 2 pu's in parallel. On the deluxe the sound of the neck pu is very similar to both pu's in parallel. However, when the 2 pu's are in series, the sound is a little hotter. It's similar to adding presence. I played a gig with it yesterday and really liked the sound although I need to make some changes to my Blues deluxe settings. I use a SM57 to put my amp into the PA and I thought it wanted to take off a little when I really got after it. That said, it should be an easy adjustment. The compound radius is noticeable. I missed some licks that I have been playing for years. Just need more time on it. I really overbent some strings above the 12th fret but a little playing time will fix that. I like the medium jumbo frets, less tendency for callouses to hook a fret in a slid. The thing I really did notice was comfort of the radius heel. Up high, I am conscious of the heel digging into my hand when I am high on the neck, Not an issue on the deluxe. Also, this is the first guitar that I have had with a belly cut. Very comfortable. So far, I'm happy with this purchase. I'll post some pics later.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2015 7:02 pm    

i thought you wanted a strat!
Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 7:54 am    

I tried one and did not like it. A few days after playing the deluxe strat, I got to play a deluxe tele. It made my mind up. The strat is just not for me.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 8:42 am    

smart man. you've realized that teles rule!