| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Value help on an Oahu Iolana D-6 w/changers
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2014 9:08 am    

A friend of mine back east is looking at this Oahu Iolana D-6 with Oahu string changers on both necks. It's in excellent condition, with case and legs. The store it's in is asking $1275. This seems a little high to me, but I'm no expert. Thoughts?

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 11:20 am     Iolana

Hi John. That seems to be about $450 too high to me to begin with. I have one without the changers, no legs but in perfect shape. I love the looks of it. But in that price range I'd be going after a Fender D-8 I've seen on here in perfect shape instead.
I have a Supro D-6 in enamel finish (rather than MOTS) that I really like and play for much less cost.
If his heart is set on that Iolana, then he may be paying a bit more than it's collectable value but sometimes its be darned with collectable value if it is one that really gives you satisfaction to play and is a long term keeper.
Maybe others with add some good info.
Happy New Year.
Dick
Patrick Harison

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 12:53 pm    

I'm going to agree with Dick. This would be a fair "Full Retail" price but I would expect it to sit in the shop for a long time... That being said, the asking price is a ways off of "Market" value. Things here on the forum generally sell closer to Market value... Which on this instrument, depending on condition is closer to $700-800 based on what we see things go for in the for sale section.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 12:59 pm    

Yeah, I think about $750 would be the right price. Those StringTone pitch changers were optional back it the day. I've seen those devices sell for $100 to $300 each on eBay in recent years.