| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI test drive
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 8:43 pm    

I played this guitar today and you know what,it is a darn good little guitar.It doesn`t sound like an push pull (but then again nothing sounds like an push pull), but it does sound good and mechanics are very good.Short pedal and knee lever travel, hard stops and right on the money.Light and nice looking.This was my first test drive of the GFI ever and I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.Modern,affordable and good sounding instrument.

------------------

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 7:11 am    

Damir, I've had my GFI for 6 months now. It is the only guitar that I gig with. I like it becourse It is light weight, stays in tune, is very stable and sounds great.
Also, they have excellent service. I wanted to change my pedal setup and I needed some extra parts.
Mr. Fields sent me everything I needed at no charge. The parts came in a few days. He even paid the ups charges.
No it don't sound like a PP or any other guitar. It sounds like a... well like a...
GFI

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:07 am    

Hi Joe,
It sounds very nice to me too.To me means a lot also the fact that is very easy and simple to change or fix just about anything on that guitar.I am a push pull lover and that is the greatest sounding steel ever made in my book, but If I have to go on the road I wouldn`t have a problem working with my GFI at all.Much rather than many other guitars.Quality is great,they look nice and they sound very good (like any other high dollar guitar)and last but not least,the price is very affordable.For a brand new professional pedal steel,you can`t beat their price with a hammer.And the best thing,Bobbe is overstocked with D-10 GFI`s so if you`re looking for one, now is a time to get even better deal on these wonderful guitars.

flawles

great craftmanship

modern changer,simple and easy to work on

------------------

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 22 June 2003 at 09:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 22 June 2003 at 09:17 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:15 am    

I once owned a U12 GFI and it was very well engineered throughout.

I liked the way you could change the pulls.

It has one of the neatest undercarriage that I have seen.

I didn't like the sound, but maybe it had the wrong pickup on it......al
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:26 am    

Al,I know people who sound so bad on their Emmons guitar you wont believe it.The GFI is a very modern sounding steel and if someone takes a little time to adjust the sound it will sound great.Amp plays a big role too.People have tendency to think if they pay more they will get more.That isn`t always the case.If you pay $5000 for the new steel you probably wont get any better guitar that GFI already is for it`s $2500.At least not that much better to justify big diference in the price.

------------------

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 22 June 2003 at 09:29 AM.]

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 10:33 am    

Damir, in your post you gave GFI four out of five stars.... could you elaborate as to why it didn't get the fifth star? Regards, fred
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 11:12 am    

Fred,
I tought about that myself and there is realy no reason not to give a five stars to that guitar,but I would leave five stars for the instruments like Sho~Bud fingertips and permanent,push pull Emmons and of course Bigsby.All the "other" guitars,Zum,Carter,Fesenden,Mullen etc...can`t outplay an GFI.

------------------

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 1:45 pm    

Damir, I would contact the Maintenance Dept. if I were you......they're putting you out of business...

I have a GFI Ultra Keyless S10 3&4 and I love it.
HowardR

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 4:22 pm    

There you go...much better ...or not

Damir, the photos went off again, put in another quarter.....

[This message was edited by HowardR on 22 June 2003 at 07:03 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 7:39 pm    

GFI?
Hard to beat. Easy to carry, smooth to play, rough to look at, but a great slick slider, well balanced sound, dependable and easy to maintain, easy to change copedants, get parts for, fast service, Yes, I know why so many pros are switching to them, it's obvious. Like the old Volkswagon, this company is always doing subtle changes and upgrades to make them better. They listen to the players with an open mind.

You won't get any more for your money anywhere else.

R.J. Sniffenflowers III
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:17 pm    

Damir-Yes , you are right about having a good amp. The GFI is a nice guitar and overall I liked it. A good amp wil make all the difference. I just can't carry those heavy amps anymore.....al
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 4:18 pm    

I know what you are talking about Al.I play once a week and carring my Session 500 for those 30 feet kills me.I think I`m at the point (of my age)where I can bearly get to the gig once a week.

------------------

HowardR

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 5:10 pm    

Quote:
rough to look at

Not to my eyes. It's a very well tailored, concise cabinet. All meat and no potatoes. Like it's been to the gym....

But, as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.....

a few more quarters Damir, those photos are starting to appear...
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 5:27 pm    

Yes Howard, I truly agree, it is modern, smooth,unique and no nonsense. I concede this point very willingly. I just worked a session with Ronnie Milsap, he said he loved the way it looked! Lets see what Ray Charles says next month.

Bobbe See-alot-more
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 6:34 pm    

I just picked up my third new GFI last Saturday.I've had two dbl 10's and this one is a sgl 10 Ultra keyless, 5 and 4.
Hard to look at?? I don't think so.I was looking this thing over,actually under,and I just am so impressed with Gene's work! He is so detail oriented.The joints and connections where two pieces meet are so good.I cannot describe everything but I can tell you that as a damn good cabinet maker myself I recognize and appreciate quality work. There are others in this line of manufacturing that do excellant work.Gene is second to none of them.Think I'll put this away and go play with my Blue Ultra! regards, fred

[This message was edited by Fred Jack on 23 June 2003 at 07:35 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 7:51 pm    

Yes Fred, It is, without a doubt, the most beautiful steel in the world underneath, everyone would agree if they had to change a pedal set-up on one. The easiest. They look fine on top also, what I like best is all the great colors available. Black, silver frame with a red top is a killer.