| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Easy Change Pickup
Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 5:35 am    

Over the years I have owned many steel guitars. One feature I always love about MSA and SIERRA was the quick change pickup I have always wonder why all steel guitar manufactures have not adopted this idea and make it a standard on all guitars. Heck there would be a whole new market for one’s that make pickups and us steel players. I bet all of us players would own at least 3 at all times. I love single coil pickups. I do not have them in my guitars because I get to a job plug in and the hum would start I just sit there and think boy if I could just slide this out for this job. Just a steel mind wondering. Would like to hear some pros and/or cons on this.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 7:47 am    

I've been in agreement for years, Mark. The drawbacks I can see are the implementation of the contacts, sliding pickups in and out would presumably cause eventual failure or intermittent contact unless the system was very robust. I don't remember how either Sierra or MSA implemented that, I seem to recall contact tracks sliding over spring-loaded ball bearings or pins…
The other thing would be standardization of the mounting system so various kinds of pickups could be used. Again, if I recall correctly, I think the MSA and Sierra designs both used a proprietary plate requiring the pickups be sent to or purchased through the steel company to make them work with the "system". That could create a nightmare of different mounting gizmos that would each work on only one brand, who each thought they had the best system.

While it's a fantastic idea, it would require a level of shared communication and common design that I haven't seen yet from the manufacturers. There have been a very few modular pickup designs in the 6 string world, and pickup swapping is far more ubiquitous there.
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 8:35 am    

There is another option. If some steel pickup manufacturer could steal this idea it would be the ultimate answer. No need to swap the pickups out.

It goes way beyond a coil split or tap.

I've been looking at these Seymour Duncan pickups for quite some time for one of my Tele's.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/medium-output/prails_shpr1/

The best part is the Triple Shot mounting ring.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/my-journey-installing-p-rails-and-triple-shot-mounting-rings/

It allows just about any combination of pickup type you could want. Now if someone could make a 12 string version of this for my Uni.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 5:45 pm    

I agree. I think every steel guitar builder shoud obtain a license from MSA to use their system, and the required mounting block should be available from all pickup manufacturers.

For me, the best thing about the modular system is not that I have a couple of different pickups, but that I was able to try out and compare a lot of different ones and decide which one I preferred.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 7:33 pm    

I have several different pickups for my MSA's, but rarely change them. There's not a nickels worth of difference in any of the ones I have. Tone is mostly determined by the player, and amp anyway. The slide in pickup parts are extremely time consuming to make, and time equals money.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:41 pm    

I've wished for decades that some kind of licensing of the MSA or Sierra pickup system would happen. Instantly change out that single coil that hums like a broken TV to a quiet humbucker! I sample a bunch of pickups at Jim Palenscar's shop on his MSA, what a breeze. (To my ear, the winner was the Alumitone!)
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 2:42 am    

Agreed John, I have Alumitone, Truetone, and George L, pickups for my MSA Milly, Alumitone is best, followed closely by Truetone, similar sound but Alumitone is quieter in interference situations, George L does not suit Milly, however my friends Derby has GL and sounds great.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 4:50 am    

The quick change pickup was my Dad's idea, and started using it on Sierra's he built, M.S.A. came to me and asked if I minded if they used the idea,no patten was ever filed on this idea...

I do know , at M.S.A., they use 24 ct Gold for the con tacks..
so there is no signal loss... it's not Cheap, but it is the best ...

I will go along with Darvin on his outlook on the whole thing..Butt, it is truly the best way to A-B pickups, hell, by the time you change out none quick change pickup, you for got what the other one sounded, Rolling Eyes
Too bad all builders just don't get together, and use the same system to have the quick change system..
Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 8:24 pm    

The Jackson guitars have modular pickups that you can change out in a minute or two. They are simply screwed down unto poles - very easy to do. I have 2 Jackson single coils and a BL 705 that I interchange out on mine when needed. - Ian

[/img]

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 6:40 am    

The problem with an idea like this is that everyone wants their own system. Look at changers and bellcranks and you'll see that everyone who decides to build a pedal steel thinks they (and only they) have proper design. Rolling Eyes As a result, almost every steel out there has unique bellcranks and changers. There's no standardization in almost any aspect of our instrument, and that is both a blessing and a curse. Personally, I find the MSA design lacking somewhat in practicality. IMHO, the dovetail dimensions they chose are too shallow, and there isn't a proper "lead" in the end of the dovetail. More than once I've fumbled to get the pickup engaged in it's slot in my guitar, making what should be a ten second operation take two or three times that.

Then, of course, there is also the issue that Darvin has raised (which I happen to agree with). You see, once you can quickly swap pickups, you begin to realize how incredibly close the sound is between all of them. In the real world, I've found that a number or two change in your amp's tone control will yeild a far greater tone difference than any pickup swap you might make (except going from humbuckers to single-coils). In your bedroom or in a recording studio, the nuances may be noticeable, but in any band context (and providing you have a capable amp) it's a wash. As a result, what initially seemed like a big advantage soon becomes a novelty, and you stay mostly with one choice, anyway. Oh Well

YMMV, of course.