| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lower Cos Professional S-10 -Lightweight
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 6:28 am    

I've sold all of my pro model guitars but need something to get me through a few months while I'm having another built, however, I will be playing some gigs. There's a carpsteel on the forum and I hear good things about them as well. The discovery is too $$$ as I'm dedicating most of my cash to my pro guitar. I need something that'll stay in tune and be gig worthy. I'd pick up an old 'Bud...but will pick up the old mechanisms I don't care for. Any advice would be great.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 10:18 am    

Try putting in the WTB section looking for a fly guitar. Mullen Discovery, Justice Pro-Lite, Encore, et cetera
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 10:58 am    

Personally, I'd stay away from a Carpsteel - I bought one once to be a backup for my Rains (same designer, supposedly similar), but it was really not up to a quality level in any category at all that I'd consider "gig-worthy", unless, of course, it is what you have to use, and then anything is better than nothing. That is just me, and I have pretty high standards for mechanical solidity, YMMV. I re-sold mine almost as soon as it arrived...it worked OK, wasn't going to fall apart, but hard to adjust/change and just didn't like playing it at all...

Why not temporarily stretch, or sell another piece of gear, and get something used, but better, that you can resell later when/if needed? Of course, the good stuff retains its value, so it isn't really cheap, but maybe something like an old Williams 400 series, older, but built to last and probably not in need of any serious work to get it to tip-top shape, they are so easy to work on...

Perhaps you can try a Carpsteel out somewhere - hit the forum up to see if there is one near you...or get a 24-hour return deal where you just pay shipping if you don't keep it...it might serve your purpose.