| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gretsch question...
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 10:12 am    

Since Gretsch were 'resurrected' in the late-'80s there seem to have been various periods or phases and I'm somewhat confused.

Does anyone have a handle on which are the good ones (where/when made, for example)? I want a 6120 - not an urgent requirement and I may never actually get to like it enough to take it out to work - and I'd like to know if there are any that hsould be avoided.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 11:15 am    

Roger,
http://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-6120-History-Legendary-Guitar/dp/0764334840
and,
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gretsch-6120
Hope this helps. Smile
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 11:33 am    

All of those listed on ebay, none listed a "PX6120" that I saw. I had a 1961 PX6120 Chet Atkins Gretsch.
Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 12:13 pm    

Rodger, I'm no Gretsch expert, however I have a student that is crazy about Rockabilly and Brian Setzer. The vintage market went crazy on 6120's and as I'm sure you are aware the original late 50's models skyrocketed in price, where today it's not unusual to see 10K asking prices for a clean 50's example. My student couldn't afford that and found a early 90's Japan built 6120 for around 2K. It is a very well built instrument and he loves it. Most of the Gretsch line is built in China now since Fender bought the name, however I believe they have a custom shop producing some models currently in the U.S.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 4:02 pm    

Quote:
All of those listed on ebay, none listed a "PX6120" that I saw.

Well, if it has to be a "PX", Jack, you could get one here starting around 15K… Shocked
http://www.howl-co.com/e_st_guitar_gr.html
Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 4:34 pm    

Aren't those Japanese yen prices? Which would convert to the '58 6120 on the link at 980,000 yen about $8300, correct?
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 7:37 pm    

Correct, Mark. Starting around $8300 to $10000. My bad.. Oh Well
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 3:24 am     6120

I have a 6120 I bought new in mid to late 90's and compared to the one I had back in 61' I like it better. Mine is made in Japan and I use it on the job when the weather here isn't so nasty (+40º is the lowest temp I'll take it out in), I don't want to risk any cold weather damage.

Geo
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 9:00 am    

Thanks, everyone. The general consensus seems to be that the made-in-Japan guitars are of a reasobly high standard.

I wouldn't consider an old one - I had a new Jet Firebird in 1960 and, even then, was appalled by its poor finish. I replaced it with my Gibson Super 400 which was in another league entirely when it came to build-quality.

What I was trying to find out was whether or not there was a marked difference (better/worse) once Fender took them over (in 2004, perhaps)?

Of course, I really ought to have one in my hands before I buy but that's easier said than done here in SW Florida.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 9:42 am    

Here's the only picture I have of my 61 PX6120 Gretsch. Its a band picture from 1965 (Sonny Lee band out of York, Pa).

The steel player is fourmite Harry "Hap" Hatterer from York, Pa. He later moved to a D-10 ZB and had one of the last ones Zane Beck built in Arkansas before the company was sold and moved west.

Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 2:42 pm    

I currently have 3 Gretsch guitars in the herd. My opinion is that the Japanese models are the best I've played.

My experience with Gretsch guitars over the years is that the quality has been inconsistent...apparently the "Baldwin period" guitars are particularly guilty in this department.. that said, I missed that period so my experience with them is based on early 1970s and post 2000 instruments.

I own 3;
1. A white Falcon 6136ds which is a fine instrument made in Japan by Terada (sp?).... I had the bridge pinned and the instrument setup and pleked (all my guitars are setup and pleked after purchase but it was excellent out of the box....I just like 'em setup to my spec.)

2. An Anniversary model 6118t...also made by Terada. It had a plek, setup, TV Jones classics and an adjustomatic bridge added....(The space control bridge wasn't doing it for me).

3. A 6120W... This is a mid nineties model, and whilst it is "post Baldwin" it had a few issues. It has had the obligatory plek and setup... I added an adjustomatic bridge...it had rollers which weren't great. TV Jones Magnatron pickups (for the twang) and I replaced the tuners with Imperials...this is an old photo.
Like anything, if you throw enough money at it, any guitar can be made playable and this one needed it.

The post 2000 Japanese models are easily the best that have come my way over the years, the quality is consistent ...IMO so far.

They are great instruments with a distinctive signature.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 2:50 pm    

Thanks, Geoff - that's most helpful.

Those are very pretty guitars; dare I say the three most attractive Gretsch options?

I think mine has to be a 6120. I'll look for as late a model as I can find.
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 8:10 pm    

I've got a 2008 Gretsch 6120 I bought new in 2010 from Sam Ash. It's a reissue of the 1959 Chet Atkins model. It came with a one piece "rocking bar" bridge and Filtertron pickups. I replaced the bridge with an adjustable model so I could get the intonation right and put TV Jones pickpups on it. It's a 125th anniversary model and one of the best guitars I ever owned. The Filtertrons were terrible but with the TV Jones pickups it sounds great. A lot more body to the sound but it retains the essential tone of a 6120. The intonation is now spot on and it stays in tune well. I use heavy flat wound DiAddarios(13's). It's Chinese made, but in this case everything about the guitar is perfect. I played other new and used 6120's before I bought this one. Some of the others were not nearly as good, so make sure you play it before you buy it as I'm not certain the quality is consistent.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 9:13 pm    

roger. i have repaired guitars for many many years. i have taken the neck off several old NY made gretch guitars in order to repitch them. i am always appalled at how flimsy they are made. the truss rods barely even work.

the gretsch guitars made in japan are constructed much better than the old ones. i have always wanted either the tn rose with the back and top bracing that runs the entire length of the guitar and has cuts in it so it will conform to the curve of the top and back.....or the 6122 nashville classic with the wide neck. the tn rose is not very expensive and the other one is. good luck finding a nice one. they are always on ebay.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 12:38 pm    

Bill's right.Gretsch guitars from Da Golden Age have a certain kind of fragility that,while part of the mythos,isn't(and wasn't really even then) very conducive to working them hard.Modern Gretsch guitars are a good deal more robust.I like the post-Fender Japanese-made reissues the best.They aren't cheap;some of those prices get into PSG territory,but if my 2009 White Falcon(pictured)is typical,the quality,workmanship,playability,and sound are well worth the price.If I needed a 6120 to take to work,I'd definitely go with one of the Pro-Lines they currently have on offer.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 1:17 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Thanks, Geoff - that's most helpful.

Those are very pretty guitars; dare I say the three most attractive Gretsch options?

I think mine has to be a 6120. I'll look for as late a model as I can find.

They are pretty guitars... They all have that "great Gretsch sound" in spades. I'm a long time fan. Let a few go over the years due to youth, ignorance and intermittent poverty... Too young to understand that a luthier could remedy any undesirable inconsistencies and too poor to afford their services.

Consistency seems to be a common theme with these guitars.
My guitar tech believes that the Terada made Gretsches will be seen as the "golden age" Gretsches for future generations... but he's biased in favour of getting me to give up my hard-earned to partially subsidise his current vices Smile ... the serials start with "JT" btw.

This looks nice and has the right "pedigree". Price seems fair. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Gretsch-6120-Golden-Anniversary-6120-GA-Gold-w-Bigsby-/281486566281?pt=Guitar&hash=item4189e82389

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 3:09 pm    

I've heard and read about how "bad" the older Gretsch's were. Necks warping, loose binding, etc.

I never had any of those problems with my 61. I had it for 24 years. It even sat in the case for 3 years, strung up and no tension taken off the strings, while I was working overseas and nothing happened to the neck.

I used the heavy gauge (wound 3rd) Chet Atkins Gretsch strings. Lighter gauge strings and the Bigsby didn't get along.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 5:27 am    

I had a mid 60's green anniversary model and the neck warped on me.
I traded it in for a CG 6122 in 1968 it was a fine guitar which I sold in 1979 for my Gibson Les Paul Custom.
I bought my latest CG6122 in December of 2012.
I have found it to be of better quality than the one I bought in 1968. IMO

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 7:39 am    

My first quality guitar was a '63 Tennesseean, which my folks bought for me in November 1962. Build and finish were quite good, except..... the "Gretsch" inlay on the headstock looked like it had been done by a beginner with a hangover.

The Terada Japan made instruments are top quality. Far better than the Golden Age. Out of my budget these days, so I play a DiPinto Belvedere DeLuxe. Not a Gretsch, but has very much "that" sound and as gaudy as a they can get.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 12:32 am    

If I was to buy a Gretsch today it would be this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWX4B7wzh7k

Not sure if it is on production any more but you can surely find them on ebay or a used one.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 5:44 am    

that gretch is not correct in its reissue. the original had a maple top that was about an inch thick!! had a discussion with paul yandell over on one of the chet sites about it. they just could not do that on this instrument. chet gave the original to his nephew jimmy atkins who lives here in atlanta. he sold it to a collector in germany i believe.

so that guitar is a copy in appearance only.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 5:47 am    

An inch thick!!!??? Whoa, that must've been a heavy sucker!! Shocked
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 3:45 pm    

I have a Gretsch 6121-1959 reissue...I also had the same guitar but was the HOF model, but other than it being orange, it was the same guitar. I feel that is the best guitar I have ever owned and since 1962 I have owned 100s. This is the guitar that is a copy of Chets favorite guitar that Paul Yandell got all the specs for and had Gretsch build. It is a very versatile guitar and just fits my hand. I have had 6120s also and they are great guitars as well, but this one is my choice, but thats just my 2 cents worth, and maybe not even worth that ! Definately the current Japanese built guitars are the best. Supposedly Chet left Gretsch when he felt the quality control wasnt good...one guitar would be a good, the next one not so good.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp