| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Explain to me this, Single String walk down
Cameron Reagin

Douglas, Ga
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 7:31 am    

I've been playing since May, and I do have a slight understanding of how complete chord shapes are formed, although I don't have it down very well. I have a slight understanding of theory (thanks to Mr. Mark Vanallen) but there is one thing I can't really get my head around, doing a single string walk down.

For instance, let's say I'm using the 4-5-6 strings. The 4 string would be my root, the 5 string be my 3rd, and the 6 string would be my 5th (if I'm thinking correctly). If this is correct, why then does it seem like a single string walk down seems to fit and sound better doing it on the 6 string instead of the 4 string, which would be my root? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself very well, and I'm trying to think of a good song example, but I can't think of one at the moment.
Cameron Reagin

Douglas, Ga
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 7:36 am    

Sorry, Wrong section. Mod, please move.
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 11:23 am    

Hi Cameron, If your talking about strings 4, 5 and 6 with 4 being the root, the 5th string would be the 5th tone and the 6th string would be the 3rd tone(in the scale). This is in the open position with no pedals or knee levers. I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the question about the single string walk down.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2014 1:22 pm    

Play a simple major scale starting on the 8th string going up until you land on the root again on the 4th string. Then play it backwards. Say the name of the note and the scale number as you play. Do it slowly.

starting on the 8th string open:

8th string; E one
7th string; F# two
6th string; G# three
6th string B pedal down; A four

and so on

If you do not understand this you need to get back with Mark ASAP. You may be misunderstanding some very basic concepts that some one on one can clear up super fast and easy.