Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dirk Vogel Passes - A Major Contributor to Hawaiian Steel
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 8:04 pm    

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 8:18 pm    

My first post was not submitting the following information due to a technical problem.

Here is what it was to include:

The following is an obituary of Dirk P. Vogel in the Star Tribune
Dirk P. age 80 of New Hope, passed away on August 29, 2014. Retired accountant of over 40 years at Kunz Oil. He is preceded in death by parents, Hugh and Martha; and brother, Hugh of New Zealand. He will be missed by his loving wife of 52 years, Delight; children, Timothy (Lisa) Keeley, Renee (Craig) Maxson, Thomas (Oriana) Vogel; grandchildren, Rebecca, Katie, Tyler, Emma, Madeleine, Max; great-granddaughter, Josie; brother, Tom (Erna); many relatives and good friends. Celebration of life 11:30 AM Friday, Sept. 5 at Redeemer Covenant Church, 7801 Brooklyn Blvd, Brooklyn Park. Visitation at church 1 hour before service. Memorials will be accepted by the family for the Parkinson's Foundation

You may send your condolences to: http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/35266/?fullname=dirk-p-vogel

Dirk was a major player for many years in helping to perpetuate the signature sound of Hawaiian music, the Hawaiian Steel Guitar. He was the founder and first President of the Aloha International Steel Guitar Club in Winchester, Indiana. He was one of the foremost collectors of Hawaiian Music and Hawaiian Steel Guitars. He donated his collection of Hawaiian music to the University of Hawaii for its preservation a number of years ago.

He will be missed!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 4:03 am    

This is sad news. My condolences to his friends and family. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but he was supportive through emails.

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 5:02 am     Aloha

Many Aloha' Oe's from George and PJ Piburn AKA Mr.and MRS. Boards.
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 6:54 am    

Sad Crying or Very sad
It was a pleasure and an honor to be one of Dirk's friends. We were friends for at least 40 years and had traded Hawaiian LPs for many years.I still have Dirk's catalog (plus supplements) of his LP collection which listed each LP by company,country record was released, record number, title, complete list of songs on the LP and the artists on the LP.
The catalog is about 2 inches thick. I use the catalog as a check list against my own LP collection of Hawaiian LPs.

Yes,-Dirk will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Wally Pfeifer
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 9:25 am    

Dirk had a worldwide count of friends with whom he generously shared his awesome collection of Hawaiian recordings. He possessed a very delicate touch on the acoustic steel guitar....his vibrato made the guitar literally sing. Dirk and I go back many years prior to his organizing the AIHSGA. He was a GIANT amongst Hawaiian recording collectors and we owe so much to him for unselfishly sharing. Such a loss to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar community. My love and deepest condolences to Dee and the family.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 12:32 pm    

That is a real shame. My condolences to his wife, family and friends.
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 6:34 pm    

Just another photo of Dirk's LP catalog. As I said previously,- the catalog was really complete and I used it as a checklist for my collection. Even though I only have about half the LPs that Dirk had,- I had several that he did not have. We talked on the phone frequently about what we found new and where and how we got any new records.
I sure will miss Dirk and I extend my deepest sympathy to Dee and the family.
Wally Pfeifer
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 5:14 am    

I'm sure his lives work will give rewards to many future generations of lovers of the hawaiian steel guitar. a great legacy. thanks Dirk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2014 6:26 am    

I somehow missed this until today. Dirk was a huge supporter of Hawaiian music and the steel guitar. He donated his large collection of memorabilia to the Univ. of Hawaii. I recall when he sold off his collection of Rickenbachers in the early 80s. Given where prices are today, they were all so reasonably priced! Condolences to all his many friends in the music community.

San Benito, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2014 3:49 pm     Hawaiian Tracks

Does anyone know--did he have any Hawaiian backup tracks?
Lee Holeman
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 11:53 am    

Lee,
I am fairly certain that Dirk produced no backup Hawaiian tapes. He had a huge collection of playing tapes but no backup tapes.

If you are looking for Hawaiian backup tapes, send your request to Gerald Ross at
gbross@umich.edu
and a PM to George Keoki Lake who has posted on this thread.

They may be able to help you.
Lee Holeman

San Benito, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2014 12:08 pm    

OK--Thanks,
Lee