| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions please...
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 4 May 2003 7:06 am    

At the risk of starting fires, I'm looking for opinions on the S-10 Legrande III and the Carter S-10 (single width body). Not necessarily one versus the other but more the pros and cons of both. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2003 8:51 am    

I have a Legrande III. Built like a tank, very smooth mechanics. Counterforce work as advertised. Sounds and plays wonderful. The only thing I will change in the future is the pickup(Emmons 108N). I have the BL710 on my S-10PP and I think I would like it on the Legrande.

I've never played a Carter but just from what I have read on this forum I would not hesitate one bit to buy one if I ever needed another steel.
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2003 11:13 am    

I have an SD-10 LeGrande III (wide body) and my only complaints are the infamous "E" clips that secure the pull rods, and there is no adjustment on the vertical knee lever. Also no end plate adjustment for the return springs. No complaints other than that. Martin.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2003 12:01 pm    

I have a Carter S10 and can only tell you that the thing plays like a dream. It stays in tune very well and I've never had any problems with it. Very smooth action and every thing is adjustable on it. It is also very light weight which is a big plus for me. The service is great and not like other companies that will sell a product and then forget you exist.
I can't tell you any thing about the Legrande III but if you are thinking of purchasing, I would suggest that you try both first and then make your own choice. What I may like, you may not. Everyone has opinions.
George
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 May 2003 3:21 pm    

Emmons LeGrande III or Carter S-10??well,I don`t wont to start a fire either,so no comment from me for right now...

------------------

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2003 3:32 pm    

Isn't there a big price difference?

Carter has their price on their web site.
I don't know the price of a Legrande III.

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 4:00 am    

Simple,
One is a Rolls Royce, and the other is a Volkswagen................
Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 9:35 am    

Volkswagon????????

so much for not starting fires
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 2:42 pm    

Are you a new player? If so, you'll be hard pressed to tell any difference. On the other hand, if you've been playing 5 or 10 years, and have a good ear, you'll probably think the Emmons is superior. It should be...it'll cost about 3 times as much as the Carter Starter, and about $500 more than the "pro" model Carter.

If money is no object, go for the Emmons.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 05 May 2003 at 03:47 PM.]

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 3:12 pm    

Martin...the return springs on the Emmons are not adjustable from the end plate, but are very easy to adjust from the bottom. Just unhook it from the changer finger,rotate the spring as desired & hook it back. No more than you will ever adjust these, it's no big deal.
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 3:18 pm    

I have a Carter S-10 all pull and an Emmons S-10 PP, both single body set up exactly the same.
The only difference I can find is the Emmons is a little bit heavier
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 4:10 pm    

Anyone in this type of a discussion should have had the "privilege" of developing with the steel thru the years and starting without pedals, then building a homemade guitar with two pedals using coat hangers, screen door no-sags, screen door springs, then drilling a hole under the string at the key head, driving a tuning key bushing in the hole and running a plunger up under the string, spring loading the plunger so you could hook a knee lever to it with a cable over a Ford windshield wiper pulley to make a knee lever to lower the "E" string to play the kickoff and solo on "Another Bridge To Burn". All present day guitars are absolutely wonderful and you should be thrilled to have any of them. My preference is Emmons hands down but that does not mean the other brands are not great. I have experienced the "homemade" pieced together guitar and believe that the whole bunch of us are spoiled rotten!! Thank goodness.
Jerry Roller
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 10:33 pm    

Roger C., I agree that you dont have to adjust the return springs hardly ever. I had to when I added some raises and lowers. I talked to Ron Jr. and he said to put one drop of oil on the spring where it goes over the threads and it would turn very easy. It all worked out fine. I may be wrong, but I think some of the old P-P's could be adjusted from the endplate with an allen wrench. I still think that would be handy. My main gripe is the non adjustable verticle knee lever, I have a piece of pipe insulation on it now, and it works OK but IMO it should be adjustable. Would I buy another Emmons? You bet !!

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 2:31 am    

Jerry,
Good to read your comments on how some of us,(more than you would think too) "Begged, Borowed, and Stole" just to have SOMETHING that even resembled a steel. Brought back many memories of my Brother and I in the "Early" years of some of the contraptions we thought up. I belive he built a D-10 body in woodshop in highschool. It seems the darn thing was as wide as a Truck, and about as heavy. And, of course, I added 5 knees on my first steel ever, the ol' trustworthy Sho-Bud "Maveric".
I was SOOOO PROUD of that "Thing".
Yea, Man, We do DO some crazy things, Don't we?