| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changes in latitude
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 7:54 pm    

I recently relocated and my practice space is a complete 180 from my last. I came from a large, hard surfaced basement to a 12 x 12 room with wall-to-wall carpet. I just moved so haven't had much time to adjust things but it seems my tone is dull, muddy and flat (I'm in tune so it's not a tuning issue); I run thru a Boss Rv-3 into a Nashville 112. Should I adjust my settlings (and if so, how--what would help?) or just learn to live with a relatively sucky sound while practicing and worry about my tone while playing out? I like to dial it all in while practicing but not sure I can ever attain the same tone considering the configurations of my space.

Anyone else ever have this issue after a major change in practice spaces and what amp settings made a difference? I did go from a latitude of 43.045 to 38.394, but I'm assuming this is not a contributiong factor (of course, Mullens are built at a latitude of 39.553 so maybe there's something to this whole latitudinal thing).

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2014 8:10 pm    

Concrete vs. carpet. Turn up your reverb, and also both highs and presence. Your new room is less lively.
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 2:27 am    

I kinda experienced something similar, recently...Normally, I practice at home in my living room, on a hardwood floor. I went, set up in my father in laws garage(concrete floor & lower ceiling) and found that my tone was very "desirable" there. I too, contributed it to the concrete floor. Never even crossed my mind about a latitude change? That's way to much analyzing, for my tiny brain...thanks a lot! Confused

Perhaps, it's because Sho~Bud started out in a garage? Razz

New Orleans
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 7:52 am    

Exactly--I had a much crisper, cleaner sound with all the hard surfaces. I'll give the advice a shot and see what happens.

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 5:07 pm    

Rick, in all seriousness, I've known a few players to set up on a peice of plywood...maybe for positive pedaling or perhaps tone? It'll get you off mushy carpet! Mullen makes a fine instrument. I hope you can enjoy your new practice space. Smile

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2014 6:46 pm    

Put some hard surfaces in there like plywood scap on floor. Give the highs a chance to reflect.