| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Most common Eb/D# lever placment?
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2003 2:20 pm    

That's E's 4,8 to Eb. Where and Why. I have it LKR. Is it different for Day set up?

Also, Is the G lever from the books still common. Buddy E. seems to have blown it off.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 19 April 2003 at 03:58 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 6:50 am    

David,

LKR is the Big E setup. It matches the ABC pedal arrangement. Jimmy Day and many others have used the CBA pedal arrangement, in which case you would use LKL to lower the 4th & 8th strings. The LKR would work well with the ABC setup for 6th & 9th chords, but the all-important 7th's call for just the B pedal combined with lowering 4 and 8 strings. This means that it would be cumbersome to keep off the A pedal. The F# to G changes should be kept for as long as you play steel guitar. The 1st and 7th half tone raises are a must. The uses for the 1st string are too numerous to even consider surrendering the change. I realize that this information is quite basic, but who knows, it may help someone if it is common knowledge at your level of playing.

Bill H.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 7:09 am    

Hey Donald,
I use the RKR for the E's to Eb as I play a universal and I feel it makes more sense to place it there to free up the left leg for more combinations. Years ago, before I went the U-12 route I had my E lowers on LKR as BE does and I liked it there. If I still played and Extended E9 or a D-10 I might still be using them there as it felt right to add the B pedal to that change any time I needed it.....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 9:08 am    

David, I use the Emmons setup with that lever LKR. That pull is used with the second pedal unless used by itself which makes a minor chord or even a major depending which strings you play. I would tell you to put that lever where it is most comfortable for you. I figure what ever Emmons has or is doing cannot be a bad way to do it....Paul
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 9:15 am    

David,
More players have it on LKR then any other position, probably because most players play the Emmons setup. Some do RKR, but not as many as LKR. As far as the F#->G pull, if you click on the tunings link on the Forum home page, and take a look at the E9 and Universal tunings, you will find that an equal number of players raise the F#->G# as raise the F#->G. Some even do both. Some do neither. Among today's crop of players, I believe more raise to G# than to G. .. Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 19 April 2003 at 10:17 AM.]

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 9:57 am    

I have P4 F# 1 to G#, but no 7
I had to pin down a copedant when Tommy was ready to put the rods back in. I chose BE's current website version because it was crunch time, and that seemed as good a place to start as any. At that point I had looked at so many possibilities my head was swimmin'.
But the Doug B. book has several G lever things and I ain't got it... a triffle confusing.
I should get another rod and what ever the name is for the "attacher to the twister" LOL, and try with two G's sometime. I can always switch later or have a low G and G# up top.

I am still pondering Jeff's C6 set up.
I am not locked into long standing habits as yet.
This ole Sho-Bud will be expanding from 8+6!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 10:43 am    

On my "Day" setup, it's RKR.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 12:35 pm    

This is beginning to sound like a broken record, but for whatever its worth; If one goes to any steel guitar convention and checks out all the new S or D-10's on sale, they will almost ALWAYS lower the E's to Eb on LKR.

It does not take a rocket scientist to know why. THAT is what is being shipped in most cases. As several manuafacturers told me, "It is what most ask for, and if they don't ask, that is what they get".

So it is more of a standard than what some think; based on those surveys. From that the following is how most 8 X 4's are being shipped:

Emmons setup A B C

Standard C6 setup

LKL raises the E's

LKR lowers the E's

RKL* raises 1 a half a tone and lowers 6 a whole tone.

RKR lowers 2 a whole tone with half-stop, and lowers 9 a half a tone.

For those that order a LKV it almost always lowers 5 and 10 a half a tone.

carl

*Note: more and more players are raising the 1st string a whole tone on RKL to emulate the PF knee lever. I predict this will be standard in a short while.

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 19 April 2003 at 01:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 19 April 2003 at 01:38 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 1:51 pm    

I have it on RKL.
That's the short answer.

Here's the full story:

I started with it RKL because that was the way my first steel, an MSA Classic, came. I studied with Al Brisco, and that's where he has it, so I thought it was standard.

Later I was learning some licks off Tommy White's video, and one of them was impossible without this change on LKR. I made the change to LKR. It made sense to have the Es lower and raise on the same side.

Then I got a second steel. It was originally Al's, and I kept the setup, RKL.

So I was playing two Steels, one with LKR and the other RKL. After a few months, and some embarrising moments, I had to decide on one setup. Either would have worked for me.

I decided on RKL because that's the way Paul Franklin (and Al) have their setup.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 12:24 pm    

when i first started out on my Maverick the only knee lever (E to Eb) was RKL
then i got my ShoBud D10 and it had the same RKL as well RKR raisin' the Es to F
so i've been used to that set up
i recently got an Emmons S10 and the lowered Es are LKR and the raised Es are LKL
i've found it hard to get used to especially when havin' to mash them ABC pedals
so i prefer havin the raised and lowered Es on my right knee !
well whatever works for you as long as someone keeps comin' round tellin' you just how much they dig what you're playin

------------------
Steel what?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 3:35 pm    

I wonder if the Big E had his E raises and lowers on LKL and LKR respectively before the P-P was invented.
I ask this because when you lower your E's on a P-P, the F lever (E raises) moves in concert with the E lowers, due to the way the linkage works.
Having them on LKL and LKR is, in effect, one possible solution to that mechanical situation.
...And the rest is history!

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 20 April 2003 at 05:06 PM.]

kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 5:10 am    

Most Sho-Buds are set up RKL. My Pro III is set up that way. Since that's the way I learned, thats the way I've had all my guitars. I used to have the F#-G change on 1&7 and took it off because I never used it. What is that change good for? (not necessarily to take this thread in a different direction)

------------------
Ken Drost
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 8:48 am    

Quote:
I used to have the F#-G change on 1&7 and took it off because I never used it. What is that change good for?

A good question. I have no problem getting the answer here. I don't have that change. I have F#1 to G#1 on P4. But really haven't found it's home yet. I do more C6 so far.