| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D-10 Sierra Crown Question..............
Jerry Bull

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 10:19 am    

I currently am using a D-10 Crown and absolutely love the tone so much that I am not willing to part with it to get a lighter guitar. Can someone tell me roughly how much weight can be lost if I remove the guts and inside neck and replace it with a pad? Thanks

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 10:33 am    

not much. and the mass from the parts you want to remove are part of what creates the sound you like.

don't destroy the d10. there are lots of good sounding lightweight beginner guitars out there.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 11:09 am    

Removing the rear neck will change the tone and reduce the sustain of the guitar. I've been there, done that with a Sierra. The effect is subtle, but if you really love the tone now, you might regret it.

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 11:54 am    

Thank you all for the reply. I have to use it every week (fortunately) and might consider selling if things slow down enough. I've had 3 Carters in the past liked their tone as well. I better not ruin the tone so I guess I'll leave it alone.

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2014 7:45 pm    

Roughly 2#/pedal or lever is lost/ea, 3-4# changer, 1# keyhead, add back 2# for the pad
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 11:04 am     Sierra Guitar Weight

For what it's worth: I play a Sierra S12U--not sure the model--it's from the late '70s with a keyed peghead. It weighs about 55 lbs. Mine has 6 pedals, 5 knee levers. It's an SD--single neck on a double frame with pad.

The issue of tone is pretty subjective; I have to believe if someone did what you're thinking of doing, they must know the results. I love the tone of my guitar--I have found settings with my amp and FX that gives the sound I like.

I can understand your desire to lighten the guitar. My Sierra travels in two cases. The guitar with its legs folded rides in a modified keyboard case with plenty of padding. The pedal board and pedal rods ride in a nylon guitar case--weighs about 10-12 lbs. The larger case is somewhat difficult to haul--it probably weighs about 50 lbs. For me, the weight is manageable. Ask me again in ten years--maybe not. I have a lighter Zum S12U that gets most of the gigs for obvious reasons, one of which is it sounds great too. That guitar weighs about 38 lbs.

It's a lot of work to disassemble the rear neck of your guitar, though that's been done, especially on D12 guitars. I see a fair number of S10 Sierra guitars for sale on this forum--you might want to wait for one to become available. If possible, you might get one and compare the sound of the two and see if you can live with the lighter guitar. That would be my preference as the sound and feel of a Sierra guitar is among the best. Plus they look badass ;~)

--JR
Jerry Bull

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2014 11:38 am    

I wouldn't be too upset to lose a small amount of tone since mostly everything I do is live play. I've had 4 fusions in my back and the weight does take its toll after a while