| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Peavey Renown
Don Discher

Sault Ste Marie,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2003 7:47 pm    

I have a chance to buy a Peavey renown 400 and fooled around with it today for a couple hours and could'nt get a decent sound out of it.This thing has tons of power but terribly hard to set.This thing has 14 control knobs compared to the Nashville with 8.Have any forumites tried this amp.This one has 2 12" speakers and the sticker on the back lists it at 600 watts.If any of you use one could you give me some settings to try.The guy wants $200.00 for it and I think I know why it's so cheap.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2003 10:43 pm    

Don, do a search in the Forum on Renown 400, there has been discussion. I have a 160 watt Renown and you can tweak it all you want and never get a good sound out of it. Save your peso's for a good steel amp.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 5:22 am    

Hey Don,
One of the gigs I do on occasion has a sound man who sets up amps for us to use. I tried out his Renoun a few times and my conclusion is that It's a pretty good lead guitar amp but does nothing for the steel. I tried all kinds of settings on it but couldn't get what I wanted, however, I've plugged a Telecaster straight into the thing and got a pretty decent sound.....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Don Discher

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 6:04 am    

Thanks guys
I have a Nashville 400 that I use on stage but i'd like to leave it in the equipment trailer and have another amp to practice on but I don't like what i'm hearing from this.I'll try my tele thru it before i return it tho.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 7:40 am    

I don't know if you are in the market for a new amp or not, but here's a link to the new Nashville 112 that will be available later this year. This is exactly for those guys and gals who want that amp for low volume, in home applications.
http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/guitaramps/nashville112.cfm

I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 if you have questions.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

By the way, one pro steeler told me that the Renown "115" amp that we manufactured years ago was "the" best steel amp that he had ever used. So, you might consider modifying your Renown by installing the Peavey 1501-4 Black Widow shallow basket speaker(item #00027010) and I think that you will be very pleased.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Don Discher

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 8:30 am    

Thanks Mike
My comments about the amp are in no way a slam against Peavey products but only against this amp.My whole P.A. system is Peavey.We do have Peavey dealers in my area but their stock is limited and testing it at home is out of the question.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 11:52 am    

Moved to Electronics section.