| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NV 1000 Hum
Bruce Deamude

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 9:13 am    

I recall this issue on the forum some time ago and one solution offered was to run a cord from the Pre EQ Patch to the Post EQ Patch or something along those lines. Could someone confirm this and tell me exactly where to run the cord? I really want to avoid blowing up the amp. Smile
Thanks,
Bruce Deamude
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2014 2:01 pm    

If you are getting hum, make sure its not something external to the amp that is causing it. Disconnect all cables from the amp, and power on the amp by itself and see if you have the hum. If there is no hum, with the amp itself its something external or a bad guitar cord.

Generally, running a cord from the out to in on the effects loops is NOT for hum.

If you are getting hum, the first thing to check is the reverb. Turn the reverb control off (zero) and see if you still have it. If its the reverb, every Peavey I've owned had some hum in the reverb.

If its not the reverb, chances are its either a Molex cable connection internally or a component failure (filter capacitor) and in that case it is off to the repair shop.

Back to the running a cord from the effects loop output to input. That is done if there is no sound at all. There is a "normal through" contact in the return jack, and if it not making contact there would be no sound at all. There are three separate points the "normal through" contact problem can occur. On the Pre-Gain effects loop, the Post Gain effects loop or the Preamp out/Power Amp in.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 2:14 am    

One other thought, the AC power outlet could be causing it. If you have only tried one outlet or at one location, try a different AC power outlet.