| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audience vs what you hear live on stage.
Tim Greene

Athens Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 7:32 am    

Ok I love a nice full sound on my steel. Nice round deep bass and tasteful treble. However on stage with the standard country band(too loud) my bottom strings from ten to six mix in with the drums and bass and makes them hard for me to hear in the mud mix. That leaves your top strings to use. To remedy this I cut the bass back and add treble. I use a open back amp and extension speaker. So now I can hear all my strings with good clarity and they are fairly bright. However what does the audience hear? Is it too much top end for them. I have heard some local steel guys that are so muddy its hard to hear them when they play. Don't say ask someone or use a long cord and set up on the floor. From your professional perspective how do you adjust your tone to remedy this or do you??? Thanks
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 7:56 am    

If you don't mic your amp, you don't have much control.
The only thing you can do is raise your amp so that you're not in the way of the sound (your body soaks up highs) and set it a little too bright for your tastes.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 8:30 am    

At home, a person wants a big footprint to fill the tonal spectrum as a one piece.

In recording and on stage, a more focused tone is more desirable so there aren't clashes and clutter with the instruments competing for the same 'space' on the eq spectrum.

The natural voicing of a steel is in the lower to upper midrange, thus those are the frequencies that must dominate to have the steel jump out of the mix. The big bass, mid scoop, high treble is the opposite of what's needed.

I like honky speakers and quite a lot more low and upper mids than what most would accept...I don't like a lot of treble and presence in any situation, just bright enough for clarity, but using treble to cut through is just icepicks in everyone's ears.

Your cable selection will have a big influence on your ability to get a thicker and richer tone, particularly with longer cable lengths and a passive vol pedal. I found that a monster rock cable was the best all around cable for getting the tone I want, monster jazz was a close second. George l's were so bright and thin I can't use them.