| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Cables for Fender 2000
Bruce Warshaw

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2014 6:02 pm    

Need 3 cables to complete my Fender 2000. Will purchase fewer if that's what you have. Will pay immediately.

As you can see, the cables I built are too thick and tend to hang up on the changer.

Please let me know if you can help.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Warshaw on 14 Aug 2014 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 7:07 am     Cables

Hi Bruce, I am restoring an 800 and used the old pulleys, etc,and made all new cables to match the original ones it's not that hard.
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 2:50 pm    

Al, please provide details of your cable build.
Jim
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:03 pm     rebuild

Every thing was been taken off the body and sanded to bare wood, new sunburst lacquer. all parts disassembled and cleaned and lubed new cables installed on the pullers and tensioners, some parts sent to Jim Palenscar in Oceanside CA to be re chromed and reassembly is under way after that come four Knees. it will end up 4X4 email me direct if you want pics.

Al
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:20 pm    

Hopefully, Jim P. will receive tomorrow and begin tuneup of a 400 I bought by mail.
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:36 pm     Tune up

Jim will definitely get it right. Sent you an email RE: Iowa
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 7:49 am     Cable Question

Bruce,

Not sure if the others answered your question. The correct diameter steel cable should be available from McMaster-Carr online, and the brass tubing used to make the loop is available at most hardware stores. The cable is soldered into the tube to secure it.

You may need to buy a cheap caliper from Harbor Freight to get the exact diameter of both parts.

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 8:50 am     size

I think I answered him in a PM, the cable is 1/16" and the copper is close to refrigeration tubing 3/16" O.D.
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 9:37 am     PM Reply

No one else on the Forum sees the PM, Al. Back when Fender made those instruments, there weren't many sizes of small steel cable available. Not sure how many hardware stores carry 3/16 copper tubing in short lengths. but some have it in 12" pieces in the hobby section.

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 3:55 pm    

Bruce, I have been gathering parts to refurbish my Fender 400 someday. I bought a lot of parts a while back which includes the "loops" that connect to the changer, but no cables. On the 400 the "loops" screw onto a fitting soldered to the cable.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 6:55 am    

The cable is 1/16" and available at Lowes and Home Depot.
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 11:52 am     cable

I bought 40' of it a tractor supply here in Castle Rock. Let me know how much you need if you don't find it. Also have copper tube on it's way FedEx, supposed to arrive Thursday.
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 3:38 pm    

Al, so glad to hear you are completing the guitar the way I dreamed of. Jim Palenscar will be completing my 2000 in the future. Good luck!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 6:47 am     Cabels

Bruce let me get the copper tubing I ordered to make sure it works and I'll try to make them for you.
Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 3:39 pm     cable

he copper came early, if this is what you need email me and I can make them but you would need to cut them to length and solder the adjustment end on.