| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Why no tone and volume controls anymore?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 6:49 am    

I realize that pedal steel players all use a volume pedal nowadays, but it still would be handy to have these mounted on the guitar somewhere. They used to be - when and why were they removed? I have a volume pedal in my signal chain for regular guitar, but I wouldn't dream of trying to get by without the finger-actuated ones.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 7:23 am    

Steve Pittico (a great Tele Player) has removed all pots from main axe.
See http://www3.sympatico.ca/spiticco/guitar.htm

I wouldn't like it, but Steve can play circles around me.
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 7:30 am    

I had volume and tone controls added when I ordered my Carter. There have been several times when it came in very handy, I wouldn't ever order a new guitar again without them.

Kieth Hilton made me an outboard volume control that mounts to the leg for my other guitar. Very handy, I wish I would have had the forsight to ask him when he made this for me to put a tone control in it also.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 7:34 am    

One of the reasons I like to play through a Goodrich Match Box is because it has an active tone and volume control on it. You think you have everything set up just the way you want it, but it sure is nice to be able to tweek things a little bit after you start your set.
Erv
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 7:42 am    

Tweek the sound on your amp, but let the sound of the steel come to there with as less resistance as possible. I can't see the problem for that. If you want different sounds, use pickups with a switch. Every pot eats a part of the sound, so keep your chords and the chain as chort and simple as possible. Just my 5 €cnts JJ

------------------
Click on the pic!

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 7:52 am    

At Dekley, we put a tone control on the right endplate with a bypass switch. I thought it was a cool idea, but no one seemed to like it, and some people even removed it. In fact in the 22 years I've played my D-12, I have rarely used it.

When I used to use a Goodrich MatchBox, I did use its tone control, but now I have my Stereo Steel amp right beside me and can tweak anything I want without moving.

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@attbi.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden D-12 (coming soon)=-
Stereo Steel rig w/Boss GX-700
IVL SteelRider w/JV-880

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 8:52 am    

I have the Matchbox with the tone control on top and use it a lot. I like to cut it back about 1/3 and then set my amp from there. Then when I (try to) do a Mooney lick I turn the treble all the way on and it works great for me. If I need a more jazzy sound I just kick it back some more.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 8:58 am    

I have a tone control on my PP. Never used it. Now it won't even turn.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 11:36 am    

I use a Steel Driver II, best distortion I've found. But when I use it I cut the tone control on my Emmons back about 3/4. Buddy it's fat and if you want to get a little hairy add some pitch shift or phase to it and then it turns into a mini Moog. If you need that treble boost like Jerry likes just hit the switch that turns off the tone control and you've got it wide open like Hendrix. You can play any rock solo out there and hang in there with all of them six stringers. It's also a good way to get the beats out when you're tuning. I understand that anything between the guitar and the amp soaks up some signal but sometimes these effects enhance the overall sound and tone too.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 12:53 pm    

I've added a volume pot to my Sierra Session. It comes in real handy when I switch to a very hot pickup. I really don't see the need for it on a guitar that doesn't have quick-change pickups, though.

I have a tone pot on my Williams, to back off the brightness of the 710's when I want less.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic
Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 2:13 pm    

This thread belongs in Electronics (gee, b0b, that was your line!), but when I have put a tone control on an instrument, I like to use a rotary switch that selects among several different capacitors, providing a variable roll-off frequency, rather than a pot and a single capacitor. The effect is much more interesting, to my ears, and I have always wondered why it is not more commonly done. Generally, though, unless you use your pinky for a "wah wah" effect (like I believe Don Helms does), I can't see why you would want to use a passive, signal sucker on the instrument in lieu of the more active tone shaping controls in an amp or effects box.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 2:16 pm    

Quote:
"This thread belongs in Electronics"

OK