| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In Praise Of The Sierra Artist
Michael Frede

Sonoita, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 4:03 pm    

I am curious as to how many of you own one or more of these guitars.I know that there are those purists who think guitars that aren't made of wood shouldn't even be considered,and I was one of them.Then I tried one,and now I own SA-10 and DA-10 Artists.I find them to be accurate,stable,and very musical.For many years I've wanted a PSG and could never afford a good one because they were always too much money.For what I paid I believe these guitars are superb.Unless I get REALLY good(or hit the lottery),there won't be any other PSG's in my future for a long time.
DaveCarr

Leeds U.K.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 6:13 pm    

I've got an S10. Nice and light to lug to lessons (especially with the Wheeleezee case) while leaving my Carter set up at home.

Dave
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 8:57 am    

I've had one for a while and I like to play it. I use it at home with earphones mostly. It has all the knee levers (S-10) and they work well. Tone is fine. It does have fairly significant cabinet drop (over 10 cents) on a couple of strings, but I like the guitar and I like the ease of travel with it. It's light and it comes with a great case with wheels.

I have other guitars...Sho Bud, Fessy,and GFI. The Artist has its place with me and I play it a lot.
Michael Frede

Sonoita, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 11:27 am    

I have at the most about 5 cents worth of cabinet drop on my S-10,this being on the 4,8 strings with A,B pedals depressed.Other strings being 3 cents or less with any pedal/lever combinations.My D-10 is not that good.I made sure EVERY piece of hardware was properly tightened,especially the changer,tuning head and tuning keyes.Also,I moved the socket balls for the pedal rods on the pedals to the hole closest to the pedal pivot.This increased the pedal travel and reduced the effort needed to depress the pedals.I think this may have reduced the stress on the cabinet during pedal operation.
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 1:55 pm    

I bought a used (nearly new) Sierra Artist D10 8 + 4 a couple of months ago. I play it through a Fender Twin Reverb, and I am well pleased with it so far.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 7:27 am    

I think it's a very good instrument, solid, easy to change setups,good sound and worth the money!
Johan
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 8:56 am    

I'm confused -- I thought the Artist WAS made of wood. Maybe I'm thinking of a different model.
Michael Frede

Sonoita, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 9:51 am    

Tom, only the neck is made of wood.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 10:03 am    

Maybe you're thinking of the Sierra Laptop, Tom. Sierra pedal steels all have aluminum bodies.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 10:27 am    

I guess I was confused by the pictures I've seen of the Artist -- from the pictures, it looks like both the body and the neck are made of wood. I figured that most, if not all, guitars had at least some wood and some metal in their construction (mostly wood bodies and metal frames), but I guess I interpreted what Michael said to mean that the Artist had no wood in it.