| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tap tempo delay settings
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 2:03 pm    

just curious what people use for their tap tempo settings. 1/4 notes, 8th notes, or dotted 8ths. for slower tunes, like together again..

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 9:30 pm    

If a delay pedal has all those options of how to divide up the time, I don't use that. I always set to what's usually called 1/4 note. I just see it as the delay time is exactly what you tap. Mostly I'll tap along at a 1/4 note, but I like to do triplets too, especially if there's a heavy swing or shuffle. Sometimes I tap real fast for a slap effect, no real regard for time or tempo there, just fast.

B
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 3:36 am    

Brad, if it has tap tempo, its capability to divide it is limited only by the imagination and fingers of the person doing the tapping.
I won't comment on the delay settings, as my favorite settings for delay are either set it in the closet or set it on craigslist. Never heard a delay setting that made me say "ooh, I want to use that."
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 6:53 am    

The main reason I'm so hooked on tap tempo delays is that when the echoes are timed to the tempo of any given song, you can get away with quite a bit of the effect without it being too obvious. When the echoes are landing on the beats with the song, with the hi-hat, etc. or in triplets which also resolve naturally in the rhythm too, they almost disappear and become UN-obvious yet the steel guitar has the big dimension from the effect.

When the echoes have a random delay time that makes the repeats fall in a time that's not in the rhythm of the song, the effect stands out more and can sometimes be pretty obvious. Sometimes that's cool, but sometimes it sounds like too much effect. Being able to tap the tempo at the beginning of each song makes it really useful for me.

B
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 7:57 am    

Brad what are you using for delay these days ?

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 9:05 am    

For guitar I use a Deluxe Memory Boy by EH. It's all analog but with tap tempo. For steel I sometimes use an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master, NOT tap tempo but a convenient small pedal. I'll even use and RV-3 in a pinch. Other times I use my rack rig with a TC M2000 or M300 that does reverb and tap-delay. My wife has the Strymon El Capistan that I like a lot. TC Furlong uses a really nice TC Vintage Delay. Even the cheap Line 6 Echo Park is ok to use. Not the greatest signal path (all digital), but a nice delay pedal. I like some of the new TC delay pedals, BUT the problem is they don't have a button to tap the tempo. Instead they have a thing where you hold the button down and strum the tempo with the guitar. I'm not a fan of that method.

B
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 10:27 pm    

Modeled "reverb", of course, is just a bunch of delay times folded together in circular fashion by the engineers who design the pedal or rack units. Or the big spring that goes wonky if you kick the amp... A few decades back, there were two guitarists who pretty much laid out the rules for great rock guitar tone - Eric Johnson & Steve Morse. They were friends, and they both hit upon the bi-amping thing early on. Typically a Fender-ish amp for clean highs and lows and a Marshall for a big nasty midrange overdrive - which kept your highs and lows from being nasty.

And the guitar mags loved to run articles about "How to get Eric Johnson's Great Big Tone!" and "Steve Morse's secret tone settings!" And they detail everything between fingers and amps. But what they kinda left out was that these guys also had a big rolling rack full of multi-thousand-dollar high-end Eventide and Lexicon studio delays and harmonizers and crossovers and stuff - Johnson & Morse took all the "reverb" settings away from the stomp engineers and painstaking constructed their own reverbs and delays, one little layer and delay and folded back-in cycle at a time. Fortunately the engineers have gotten a lot better at this over the years - it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to let them do the hard stuff!