| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Rods becoming Detached at the Top while Playing
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:20 am    

I have several pedal steels but one of them has a frustrating problem. All pedal steels that I've worked with have just a hook to attach the pedal rods to the cranks. This is to simplify take-down and set-up. But one of my steels, a Fender/Sho-Bud hybrid, has a habit of detaching one of the pedal rods while I'm playing, which is very annoying. It's only on that one guitar and only on the first pedal.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can you suggest any remedy? I've thought of putting some sort of locking collar on it, but there's not much room.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:29 am    

Alan, is the problem with the rod or the cross-shaft?
I bet one of the two halves is different from standard.
Have you tried swapping pedal rods (like trading 1 for 3), and did the problem stay with the rod or cross-shaft?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:39 am    

Bend a little more angle in the rod hook?
Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 11:42 am    

Could be a turkey laid eggs up in there and they won't let the rod hook up properly.

Very Happy
David Mills

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 1:20 pm    

I have an old fender starter made by shobud with 3x1 that I had this same problem with, i found out i was looping them in from the wrong side when i saw someone else set it up, :/ whoops ha ha, might try that if ya havent already, not sure if it has the same setup but if i put them in the correct way the body kind of holds them in.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 1:29 pm    

Bingo, give the man a cigar! Cool
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 3:46 pm    

Thanks, folks. Larry Petree made the same suggestion. I'll have to try it. I was starting to think about tapping a new rod with a longer hook bent on the end.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 6:33 pm    

Had that problem on the B pedal on my Kline. Just took a couple taps with a hammer on the hook to fix it.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 6:47 pm    

Worst come to worst (or lazy comes to laziest? Smile ) there's a wide variety of sizes of flexible vinyl tubing available by the foot at a good hardware store. Once you figure out the right diameter, you could just cut off a few inches and slide it on the rod. When you put it together, slide the piece of tubing up over the connection so as to snuggy things up.
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 6:54 pm    

David Mason wrote:
Worst come to worst (or lazy comes to laziest? Smile ) there's a wide variety of sizes of flexible vinyl tubing available by the foot at a good hardware store. Once you figure out the right diameter, you could just cut off a few inches and slide it on the rod. When you put it together, slide the piece of tubing up over the connection so as to snuggy things up.

Alternately, add heat shrink tubing. It's easy to remove if you mess up or it doesn't work out.
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 9:20 am    

Thanks folks. Yes, plastic tubing was the first idea I came up with. In the end I turned the rods round, put them in a different sequence, and slipped short pieces of tubing over the ends of all the rods, and so far it has worked. Very Happy
Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 7:46 pm    

I'm having this problem on my Carter. 2 of the hooked ends on the rod shafts are far too short and sometimes pop off when releasing the pedal. I used a twist-tie from a loaf of bread to hold each in place. I've got to figure out something better when I start having to set up and tear down my guitar. It works fine now because I'm still just practicing at home, and not playing anywhere.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 8:13 am    

A Ball & Socket Arrangement Per Sierra PSGs Will Take Care Of This Situation. Smile

There is A Ball Mounted On The Cross Shaft Bell Crank & A Socket Mounted On the Upper End Of The pedal Rod.

Roger
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 9:08 am     Alan ,,,

I had the same problem with a Shobud Super Pro. The hook end of my rod kept falling off when I turned the guitar upright to set up. I thought I would have to rebend the hook a bit till I noticed the hole in the little bar attached to the crossrod was badly enlarged. I replaced the little bar and it was back to normal. Figures too, it was the last thing I thought to look at. Hope this is an easy fix for you. Best Regards. Zeke