| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  numbering system for bellcrank slots?
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 9:09 am    

Mechanical terminology question here...
When the guitar is in the UPRIGHT, normal playing position, are the holes in the bellcranks and changer fingers generally numbered as you count AWAY from the body and towards the floor? Meaning, hole 1 would be closest to the body and hole 5 closer to the floor..?
I realize that most labeling and naming systems are somewhat arbitrary. Just wondering if there is a standardized approach in this specific scenario.
Thanks in advance!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 9:43 am    

This was a graphic from Carter. It was super useful/essential when working with their rodding charts. I have no objection to this becoming a 'standard'. However it is not a standard because there is no standard.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 10:42 am    

No standard in numbering or in actual rodding. This was asked in another thread this week.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 1:34 pm    

Thanks for the replies.

I believe the other thread was asking more about rodding placement, which I agree is not standardized. It is going to vary between guitars, and players preferences.

My inquiry is strictly referring to terminology, and general direction of numbering which evidently is not standardized either.

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, but reading through it now I don't think that would've been an issue. Wink

Cheers
Andy
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 5:51 pm     Re: numbering system for bellcrank slots?

Andrew Frost wrote:
Mechanical terminology question here...
When the guitar is in the UPRIGHT, normal playing position, are the holes in the bellcranks and changer fingers generally numbered as you count AWAY from the body and towards the floor? Meaning, hole 1 would be closest to the body and hole 5 closer to the floor..?

Every chart I have even seen follows the numbering like Carter's as posted in Jon's reply. I don't recall where I found the first one back in the early 90s when I did my first major setup change. Wasn't the Carter one though.

It's the numbering system I've always followed. It's just a little confusing as it seems the numbers are backwards on one of them?

I would say it is pretty much standard from what I've seen from other manufacturers, but what do I know.
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2023 5:20 pm    

That seems to comply with my own method where the number 1 is the easiest