| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Amp should I use
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:08 pm    

What would be a good Amp for a Lap Steel with a C tuning????I have a Nashville 112 and I like the sound but I'm thinking a lighter Amp.I also use a
RV-3.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:49 pm    

Fender Pro Junior
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 7:16 pm     I'll have to agree!

The used Pro=Junior I picked up at the TEXAS show has proven to be a perfect match for my Rickenbacher Bakelites. More than happy with the match-up. And, the price was reasonable I feel.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 7:42 pm    

I've heard Ray's Pro Junior and it sounds great. I'm having good luck with a vintage Fender Princeton Reverb.
Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 5:48 am    

I also use a vintage ('64) princeton reverb and it sounds good with any tuning and any instrument, in my experience. Light and loud enough for nearly every situation. It's also very pedal friendly. Downside is they are expensive compared to amps like the blues jr and pro jr.
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 6:36 am    

I finally find my perfect steel amp and its an old Stromberg-Carlson PA amp rebuild from Skip Simmons. This amp is perfect, sound great at any volume, always clean but always warm and very responsive.

He made me a custom amp with 3 channels; clean steel, hot guitar (this one have lot more high and mids and overdrive when picking hard) and a line-level that is just pure clean that I use to plug my Dobro with the Jerry Douglas pickup-pedal.

Lee Jeffries use a Skip Simmons PA amp and have a great tone.

Check is website : http://skipsimmonsamps.com/amps.html
Dave Broyles

Olympia,WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 6:57 am    

For those who like the vintage Princeton Reverbs but don't like price, Fender's new '68 Custom Princeton Reverb is a nice alternative. I took one to a show to play guitar and lap through and was mighty impressed.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 8:44 am    

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals.

What's your budget? How loud do you need to be?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 3:17 pm    

I originally suggested the Pro Junior; explanation to follow.

I also own, regularly play, and love every amp mentioned above. The Princeton Reverb is my favorite. Mine is one of the last of the Silverfaces, circa 1980-81. Good reverb and great tremolo. Not cheap, though. You could likely purchase two or three Blues Juniors, and three or four Pro Juniors for what you'll need to shell out for a vintage Princeton Reverb in good operating condition.

The Blues Junior is also an excellent choice, although a notch below the Princeton. They sport a 12" speaker, and reverb. The 'verb is not quite on a par with the Princeton Reverb's, however.

Since the criteria stated above was for a "lighter" amp for use with a RV-3, the Pro Junior would my recommendation. Nice and versatile little grab-and-go amplifier that works great with C6 lap steels, and it's easy to dial in a great sound with only two controls.

All that being said, here is a great deal on a real nice American-made Blues Junior (if it's still available):

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=265123

You really can't go wrong with any of these three Fender Amps, in my opinion. The good thing about the Blues & Pro Juniors, is that Fender has been marketing them for nearly 20 years, and there's a gazillion of them out there. You should be able to find a used one that works well for a relative bargain (such as the one above).
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 10:33 pm    

Princeton with a 12 would be perfect but I agree with the others.. any single 12 low wattage combo would work great.