| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Offering a good quality powder coated bar very soon....
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 4:20 pm    

Hello, Forum Members, I'm planning on offering a good quality powder coated bar soon, size would be the same as the old Red Rajah and Black Phoenix. I have discussed this project with a local powder coating firm, and they believe that the secret to a long lasting coating is in the bar preparation, as well as the firing of the powder coating. I've used these bars for Dobro and lap steel for the past few years, and I believe the coated bar cuts down some string noise, has a little less drag, is a little easier to hang on to,and produces slightly less treble tone. I know that some players opine that there is some loss of tone with a coated bar, some think it enhances their sound. We plan on having an initial stock by mid August, meanwhile, I'd like any comments, pro or con regarding this project. It would appear that the bar would be priced around $55-$65, which would include priority shipping in the US, and we will offer some reasonable warranty. Meanwhile, please feel free to give us your input and opinion- Best, Michael Hillman
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1996’Epiphone Sheraton, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:14 pm    

...sounds interesting, I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress...
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:25 pm     Thanks Dickie,

Thanks Dickie, just curious, have you ever tried a coated bar?
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1996’Epiphone Sheraton, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:26 pm     Thanks Dickie,

Thanks Dickie, just curious, have you ever tried a coated bar?
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:41 pm     Sorry for the double post!

oops, sorry for the double post, in response to other inquiries, the bar we've designed is approx. 7/8" x 3 3/8". If there is enough interest, we will produce a larger size, and perhaps a Stevens style bar.
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:58 pm    

Michael, I have a BJS, 4 Zirc bars, and a couple of ceramic bars. No coated ones yet as I missed out on the Red Rajah and Black Phoenix bars.
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 6:06 pm     Thanks,

Thanks Dickie, I have a BJS, but I've not tried a ceramic or Zirc bar....when the coated bars were made available, it appeared that some players loved them and some, not so much, like many accessories a matter of personal taste. We will start with a test group and see what the level of interest is.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 9:44 am    

If it "replaces" the standard size Red Rajah, I would like to order 3 of them.
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 10:30 am    

Thanks, Peter, I will let you know when they are available, and determine the best way and additional cost of sending 3 to South Africa.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 8:41 am    

Any plans for a 3/4" x 3" bar, similar in size to the Broz-O-Phonic or Dunlop No. 918?
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 9:18 am     Thanks, Jack,

thanks for the inquiry, Jack, we plan to offer the smaller bar first, and depending on interest will offer other bars later on. We are meeting with our machinists tomorrow, I will check on the price for a small run of 3/4 x 3 bars, we may be able to produce a few at this time, I will let you know. -Michael
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 11:32 am     Re: Thanks, Jack,

Michael Hillman wrote:
thanks for the inquiry, Jack, we plan to offer the smaller bar first, -Michael

Actually, Michael, the 3/4 X 3 bar that Jack inquired about IS smaller than the 7/8 X 3.75 bar that you plan to run. I think a number of lap steel guys would be interested in the smaller bar.
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 12:10 pm    

Point well taken, in fact I looked at the 918 and the length is 2 3/4"...we'll discuss this size tomorrow with our machinists.
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 7:19 am     Powder coated bars ready August 19th,

Thanks to all who have expressed interest in our initial run of powder coated bars, who have posted here or sent private mails. We will have them available Tuesday, the 19th, watch for our ad in the equipment/accessories for sale! - Michael
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:39 pm     second run of smaller powder coated bars,

Update on our powder coated bar project --we appreciate all who have made suggestions, purchased a bar, said they would purchase a bar, thought about purchasing a bar, or otherwise supported our project. They are selling well and we have yet to have a bar returned, or a purchaser express dissatisfaction with one. We have tried to keep costs reasonable and still produce the best possible product. A fair amount of interest has been expressed for a slightly smaller bar, 3/4" x 2 3/4". This morning we placed orders for the steel stock with our machinists, and obtained bids from them and our powder coating firm. We will have these bars in the same gloss finish (which seems to be the best for gripping the bar) and the same color selection, at the latest in mid-October. The cost will be a bit less than the larger bars, $54.95 shipped Priority to US Zip Codes, same guarantee. Watch this post for the announcement when these bars are available. Thanks All!! - Michael