| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rod Free Play Issue
Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 11:53 am    

I play an older all-pull Excel D-10. I wanted to move my pedal 8 changes to pedal 4. I found that when I tune my 10th String C to A change and my 9th string F to E change the tuning rod pulls those strings out of tune. In other words, I found out there was not enough free play on the 9th and 10th string rods. So I moved my bell crank-end rod position to the "farthest away from the guitar" position (all the way down towards the floor). I moved my changer-end rod position to the "highest up" position (up towards the ceiling). This should allow for the shortest travel distance and hopefully have given me some more free play. But I still do not have enough free play. What else can I do to buy myself more free play?

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 12:07 pm    

If they are not making the full change, I would try adjusting your pedal travel to travel farther. Notice how much you turn the travel adjustment, so you can put it back the way it was, in case that doesn't work.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 19 Jul 2014 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 12:11 pm    

This becomes a very guitar-specific issue and I know nothing about Excels. The next move (or maybe a move the precedes going to the extreme settings of the pull rods) is to lengthen the pedals stroke. Does the guitar have adjustable stops? Or adjustable starts (a screw that sets the 'at rest' position of the pedal)?
With one of these adjustments you would lengthen the amount of pedal movement. Afterward you could, possibly, go back and choose a bellcrank slot that is less extreme (this is just me--I like to still have another hole or slot in reserve, just in case).

This may be moot, depending on what option Excel presents.

--
--
edited to add-----addressed by Richard more simply and concisely.
Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 3:31 pm    

Thanks, Richard and Jon. I increased the pedal travel by adjusting the pedal stop screw and that took care of it.