| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping a PSG
Larry Nemec

Fulshear Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 11:39 am    

I apologize if this is the wrong section and I have already done a search with 21K returns so I'll take the easy way out and ask. I need to ship a PSG from Texas to Georgia. What is the best way to pack? Palate? Carrier? Build a crate? Any help appreciated!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 2:04 pm    

Greg Cutshaw has a guide to how to pack them.
I drive for FedEx ground, and all the carriers have pretty much the same system.
Heavy or bulky items don't ride a conveyor belt, but ride on carts without useful side rails (about 1") and nearly 7% of cart cargo drops 2 feet to concrete at 10 MPH.
That trip will feature FOUR cart rides, so you have a 28% chance of a hard drop.
Package accordingly.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 2:45 am    

You'll get this info from Greg's site, but I think the three most critical issues in shipping are:

1) secure the divider between the leg compartment and the steel compartment. Cutting some blocks from 2x4s to brace the divider against the outside wall is a good idea.

2) put enough packing (bubble-wrap, paper, etc.) in all the nooks and crannies to ensure that nothing at all is moving inside the case.

3) Do not use packing peanuts!

Beyond that, you can never use too much bubble-wrap.

Dan
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 12:41 pm    

All the stuff Dan listed for inside the case is perfect. On the outside I have always made a box out of the rigid 4'x8' pink foam insulation sheets that are about 1" or 1.5" thick. I just tape it all together with packing tape and then cover that with cardboard - either sheets or several recycled boxes. I have tried making it flush with the case and other times I've left a little space that I filled with newspaper. I didn't notice any difference in the outcome. I've used this technique to pack and ship artwork many times successfully, so decided to try it on a steel and it worked very well. The pink foam is also strong enough to brace the pedal bar compartment inside the case as well.

Gabriel
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 1:19 pm    

You should also put socks,foam or cardboard between the pickups and strings to keep the pickup from coming apart.I've seen quite a few pickups ruined.