| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When They Ring Those Golden Bells
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2014 9:23 pm    

Having recently come across a video on You tube of Dicky Overbey playing Gospel song called "When They Ring Those Golden Bells" I felt inspired to try and play my own version of the song.

However, I didn't have any backing track for it that I could play along to, so thought I would have a go at doing my own one with a few instruments, and having the steel play the main tune.

I then added some pictures that I had taken over the years from the South Island of New Zealand where I live.

I thought I would share it, and see what you guys thought. It came out a bit rough, but I gave it my best! Very Happy

Watch it here ====>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulhBtkK8aw&feature=youtu.be
Marcus

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2014 1:27 am    

Good job Marcus, I like the job you did on the Song and Video. By the way Dicky Overbey is a favorite of mine too.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2014 2:08 pm    

Thank you Roger for your kind comment on my video. I was glad that you like it. There are parts of the music that I would have liked to tidy up a bit, but thought I would just leave it how it is.

Dicky is great, he puts such feeling into his playing.

Marcus

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 3:14 pm    

I understand what you are saying Marcus. I have made a few videos with tracks and never was quite satisfied with my performance but eventually came to realize I had to do a final take. Smile
What do you record with? What brand steel and Amp do you use?
Here is a video of my effort at recording and playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLu6U6j_xuk

Keep playing.
Marcus Provis

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 7:22 pm    

Hi Roger, yes that does sound like a good plan when making the videos. Sometimes I have kind of gone with what was my best go out of a few attempts, having that final take might solve the problem for me too. Smile

Thank you for sending the link to your video, you have a nice sound to your steel, nice and clear, and did a good job with it.

I have been recording with Audacity, with a small mike which I use for each instrument, and then edit in Audacity also.

I play an Emmons "Black Rock" push pull, and in the case of this video I was playing through a Fender Steel King amp, which I use primarily at church, but also use Nashville 400 for the majority of my videos.

Thank you again for your encouragement.

M P