| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No Finger Picks?
George Schinler

Austin,TX USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:39 pm    

Hi everyone. Are there any famous steel players out there who do not use finger or thumb picks? Just play with their bare fingers?

Thanks for your time!
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:59 pm    

I think I'm correct in saying that Bobbe Seymour played with a thumb pick, but no finger picks..
Patrick Drummond

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 2:56 am    

You are correct George

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 4:32 am    

Percy Robinson from Ireland. Not quite famous, but a good player who has made several recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a712tFbZrkY

Austin,TX USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 10:14 am    

Thank you for your replies. I've just started learning lap steel and after years of playing guitar and bass I just can't get into the finger picks. I'm going to stick with my thumb pick and fingers for now.

Thanks again!
Paul E. Brennan

Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 1:33 pm    

I believe Buddy Emmons played for a while without finger picks.

Dave Kirk from the UK plays without thumb or finger picks.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 4:29 pm    

Once the skin starts to callus. there is some nice tonal variety that can be had.
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 12:03 am    

anyone play with finger nails, like a classical guitar player? thought about doing this for a bit when I started playing but couldn't stop biting my nails. Finger picks really grew on my soon after anyway.
Jan Oelbrandt

Herzele, Belgium
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 2:12 am    

J. David Carrera wrote:
anyone play with finger nails, like a classical guitar player?

Yes I do.
I use a thumbpick, but I grow my nails on 3 fingers. At first, I was afraid the nails would not be able to hold up, but they do. I play 2 hours a day (on good days anyway).
If you're curious for my sound, you can hear me play different kinds of stuff on my youtube channel and on this SoundCloud
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 2:49 am    

Although far from famous I am another using just a thumb pick . I used finger picks for years but think I gradually stopped using them as the computer became more common , very hard to type or mouse manouver with picks on !
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 4:55 am    

Nobody famous here. I prefer no picks. I am learning pick blocking. Eventually, I'll learn palm blocking.

Both pick and palm blocking are largish investments. "Finger blocking" was more or less free - it's closer to a Knopfler/JJ Cale fingerstyle guitar approach I was already using. I also like the tone with fingers quite a bit better.

I will, at times, use one pick on my little finger for the skinny strings. I can use five-finger grips, probably too much.

But "finger blocking" works out a lot like it does on six string, for a potentially much drier, less legato sound. Legato is still available if you let 'em ring .

I will probably also always play six string, keyboards and steel - sometimes within the same song. Picks make that harder. At times, I'd rather have say a B3 pad the verses and then do steel fills on the chorus.

The pronounced upper midrange with picks also takes some getting used to. I know that's the point but it takes some getting used to. Just going from a single-coil pickup on a Carter Starter to a Supersustain II has opened up tonal worlds for me.

And yes - I can make it whine with fingers Smile
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 5:56 am    

I tried it for a few days! Here's what it sounded like:

What A Way To Live - Hear it!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/No%20Fingerpicks/No%20Fingerpicks.html

I double tracked the parts at 0:48 and 1:05 by trying to play the same part the same twice on different tracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 7:34 am    

It looks like this famous player from yesteryear only uses a thumb pick (I can't see any fingerpicks, can you?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlmsMhcdrM
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 9:54 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I tried it for a few days! Here's what it sounded like:

What A Way To Live - Hear it!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/No%20Fingerpicks/No%20Fingerpicks.html

I double tracked the parts at 0:48 and 1:05 by trying to play the same part the same twice on different tracks.

Both tracks were fingers only?

Excellent! Nothing like an experiment to learn from. This sound is exactly why I like fingers for E9 and C6. Since we are a lot ( I know I am ) familiar with your pick tone from your tab/sample page - this corresponds very well to how fingers sound to me.

My , uh, pick tone... well, yours is way, way better. Gettin' there, boss, gettin' there. May need lessons before it's over.

As I get the instrument out of the garage more, I'll know more about how much the picks add in terms of "cutting through the mix."

Also, very nice playing as usual, Mr. Cutshaw.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 7:52 pm    

Former Blue Rodeo steeler Kim Deschamps plays with bare fingers.

I do about half the time - it really depends on what I'm playing and what tone I'm looking for.

On 6-string stand-up slide (Melobar) I usually play with a special strapped thumbpick that I use as a flatpick and hybrid pick with my middle and ring fingers. It's primarily because my main Melobar is also a Telecaster with a B-bender -

The bar is in a small hole between necks, and by using the combo thumb/flatpick (even though it's not my preferred gage or type) it's real convenient to quickly switch between necks.

BTW, the thing is not as nasty to play as it looks - only weighs a little over 11 pounds! I've had Les Pauls close to that!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Wilfred Buttigieg

Malta
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 3:26 am    

I use just a thumb pick.
For many years I had been using finger picks which were making my fingers numb wearing them tight...coz if you wear them light, they'll fall off while you're playing...and I couldn't play for more than 20 or 30 minutes, because like I said, my fingers would go numb.
It gives you a total sense of freedom wearing no finger picks...just grow an eight of an inch fingernails on your right hand.
Here's how it sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWISWk4qjA
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 4:03 am    

Wow Wilfred, I enjoyed this very much!

Malta
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 5:30 am    

Thank you Joachim!
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 7:36 am    

Fingers only will work but you have to sacrifice some tone and speed.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 9:14 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Fingers only will work but you have to sacrifice some tone and speed.

Please explain
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 1:24 pm    

Just common sense really. There is no way a finger can get the zing from a string that a metal pick does. Also, speed depends some on the bounce or kick back of the pick and a soft finger won't do that.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 2:22 pm    

Several years ago on the Opry, the Whites were singing and just before Tommy's solo, you could see him slip the finger picks into his coat pocket and he played the solo flawlessly with tone to the bone. I had the VCR running for that.
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 4:40 pm    

I've been playing without picks for years and the number one problem I've consistently encountered is nail breakage. If I break a nail it usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to grow back to the proper length and my playing is compromised if I have a gig during that period.
The bottom line is that if all you intend to do is play at home go for it but if your looking
For more I suggest going with picks.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 3:26 am    

as a NO picks Tele player, I recommend using picks for the Steel, the style of playing without picks is NOT the same as with picks. I do not use my "nails" but rather the meat of my finer tips. For me it's the opposite, I have to keep my finger nails as short as possible or they get hung up on the strings.

Of course you can play Steel without picks but if you are trying to emulate phrases that are played with a "PICK" player then you are going to have to modify your execution. EX; Alternate picking at speed...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 7:02 am    

I read that Toy Caldwell of the Marshall Tucker Band did not wear finger picks. I would never have believed it if I had not read it. I went through a period of a few months when I was not wearing finger picks because I was having hand problems. My thinking was the picks were adding stress to the tendons. Then I noticed I was trying to pick much harder with my bare fingers trying to get that pick tone. I ended up taking a break from playing for a while. Now I'm back to using picks. I found it more difficult to try to learn palm blocking w/o picks, but finger blocking was easier. My finger nails have never held up well to steel strings so simply used the pad of my tip of finger.