| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beau Charron with Leon Russell
Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2014 11:48 am    

Had an interesting experience last week. A friend who runs a back line rental company called and said he needed to rent a PSG for a a Leon Russell concert; the rider just said "pedal steel guitar, E9th tuning" with no further details. I couldn't understand how any steeler could play a concert on a steel they had never seen, unless the copedant and other specifics were made clear up front. I was told the player's name was Beau Charron. After checking out Beau's moves on YouTube, I determined that my LeGrande should work for him and agreed to rent it, with delivery, to the show.

I found Beau to be a very down-to-earth guy who really appreciated having a good instrument and someone to help him dial it in for his show. Beau owns a real nice Sho-Bud Pro III Custom, which he does not like to take on the road, and gets a variety of stuff provided when they fly in to shows. He is a killer guitarist (he actually fills a utility player role with Leon, also covering mandolin, lap steel and keyboards) as well as a very tasteful pedal steeler, making it happen with only a basic setup.

I recommend not missing an opportunity to catch this great show if it comes to a town near you!

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2014 10:00 am    

That's an interesting story, Gary! Btw I think Mr.Russell never used pedal steel on his records except on "Hank Wilson's Back" of course.