| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  High B string in E6 tuning - Anyone try it?
George Rothenberger

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:06 am    

I have a desire to put a high B above the G# on the top string of an 8-string lap in E6 (E13) tuning. It will tend to break. Has anyone tried successfully to add a B on top and achieve a triad of E-G#-B on the top 3 strings? .009 or .008" gauge? Impossible?.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:17 am    

I have the equivalent on my C6 neck - a high G - as does Henry Allen and Bobby Ingano. The B11 tuning has an equivalent E on the top - A C# E. I really like it. Alan Akaka keeps one of his steels in a high G tuning for my lessons with him. Musically, this is I-III-V. It's all relative, ya know.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:31 am    

sure, its *possible*, assuming you dont have a long scale. that is a lot of stress on a string tuning to B
i would think this would be a futile experiment, (i've found these ideas sound better on paper than in actual use - there is a reason) but no harm to try.
if you want that 1-3-5 stack on the top you could always go C6/C13 (hi-G) or A6/13 - same interval stack you are just in a new home key.

E13 is pitched pretty high already

Last edited by Jerome Hawkes on 17 Jun 2014 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
George Rothenberger

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:33 am    

Thanks, Alan. I know in 8-sting C6 i have G on top; ACEGACEG and in E6 lo-to-hi; B C# E G# B C# E G#. Now imagine if I have a 9-string, and have the same low-to-High
B C# E G# B C# E G#, but with B on top. Crank a .009 up to the B. Where safety goggles first? Add a capo-like nut extender or post to get B above G# cranked up to B? Anybody do it successfully??.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:39 am    

i would imagine even if you got the string to B without breaking - its gonna sound like c#@p.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:48 am    

Yep, seems it worked on paper but you bust strings trying to get there. Too long a string length (24"). Thanks Jerome... And in my earlier reply I meant 'Jack' not Alan.
so I may need to go to a lower home key to complete the triad on top as suggested. I heard the strain over the phone of my new 9-string being setting up for me, he says he busted multiple strings trying to get the top one to B. I was just thinking... that was my first mistake.
Or buy me a dual neck as well and tell my wife it followed me home.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 10:38 am    

My recent decision after experimenting with several tunings on 8 string and restringing several times Oh Well is E6 (low to high): A B C# E G# B C# E
I have a wrist lever lowering #5 (E) to Eb which gives me a B11th with the b7 on bottom and 6th in the middle. And, there is no 5th tone in this B11th. So, maybe that makes it something other than B11th?
I feel that the E6 cuts through the mix a little more.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 12:10 pm    

I don't see the need to have such a high pitch available "open" Nearly any tuning will give you that note (in a triad) using the bar.

Perhaps you need a high open string to do Dobro licks (hammer-ons and pull-offs)in a higher key?

Dom Shocked