| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who's on Dobro?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 9:07 pm    

Ashley Monroe, "Hank's Cadillac". Does anyone know who is playing dobro here with her? Also the guy singing with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5MLxYefMA
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 3:25 am    

Do you know what year that was from? I'm thinking it's Mike Witcher, but a younger version of Mike than the one I'm used to.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 4:58 am    

Josh Metheney
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 6:38 am    

Not sure of the year. While he's no Jerry Douglas or Randy Kohrs (my favorite dobro player), the stuff he did on this song is really nice.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 7:53 am    

I believe that's a younger version of Alexander "Sasha" Ostrovsky, currently playing with Darius Rucker. He was Ashley Monroe's dobro player during that period.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 7:56 am    

I second it on Russian-born Sasha and former member of Bering Strait, it's definitely not Josh Matheny or Mike.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 12 Jun 2014 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 8:05 am    

I somehow wasn't aware of Sasha, but will rectify that in a hurry - clearly that's who it is. Apologies to both Sasha and Mike!
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 8:54 am    

I would have never guessed it was Sasha. Haven't seem many pictures of him. My apologies to Sasha for comparing him to Douglas and Kohrs. I have some great stuff from him. He's a great musician.

He also plays pedal steel.

Thanks
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 9:13 am    

Well, the YouTube video says it was uploaded on 2/24/10, so it has to be before that. It's definitely not after 9/14/12. That's the day she got engaged to White Sox pitcher, John Danks. Also, I took a snapshot of her, and the ring on her finger does not appear to be an engagement ring.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 10:29 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I would have never guessed it was Sasha. Haven't seem many pictures of him. My apologies to Sasha for comparing him to Douglas and Kohrs. I have some great stuff from him. He's a great musician.

He also plays pedal steel.

Thanks

I don't think he would have a problem being rated below Douglas or Kohrs. I remember an interview from some years back where Sasha, aside from citing Jerry as one of his greatest inspirations also looked up to him because as a young musician Jerry befriended him and apparently gave him a lot of help and advice.

There was even a story on Reso-Nation a few years ago that Jerry gave Sasha his first Scheerhorn guitar.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 12:58 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Well, the YouTube video says it was uploaded on 2/24/10, so it has to be before that.

Richard,

Right under that statement, it says:
Quote:
Ashley Monroe - "Hank's Cadillac" on Opry Live on February 24, 2007. For more information on the Grand Ole Opry visit www.opry.com © ℗ 2007 Grand Ole Opry, LLC

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 1:29 pm    

Wow! I can't believe I didn't see that. Embarassed Time either for an eye checkup (or a brain checkup).