| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Traditional Country Music is Dead?
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 6:10 am    

Depends who is doing the selling?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 6:35 am    

The Cowboy Rides Away! Whoa! This can't be! Rolling Eyes Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Pigeons -facebook.
Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 6:45 am    

Crowd was first treated to a full hour of Asleep At The Wheel doing almost entirely Western Swing music..with Ray Benson often booming out "here's another song done by Bob Wills..". Then he gives a shout out to Jody and Hoyle Nix before launching into "Big Balls In Cowtown".

And before AATW came on, the background music consisted of Ray Price, Alan Jackson, Mark Chesnutt, etc....not a SINGLE song from current radio stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203276845354584
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2014 10:56 am    

You notice they say the largest North American indoor concert.

It is interesting to discover that largest indoor concert EVER was Alice Cooper, who played to 158,000 in Sol Paulo Brazil.
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 12:34 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
It is interesting to discover that largest indoor concert EVER was Alice Cooper, who played to 158,000 in Sol Paulo Brazil.

And that was traditional rock music. Mr. Green

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 10:06 am    

Ha, I was just amazed it was Alice Cooper. I had no idea he ever had that kind of following.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 10:09 am    

Proof positive no accounting for taste! I viewed a program a while back about he runs a restaurant somewhere in the Northeast.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 7:30 pm    

So that's Alice's Restaurant? Laughing Winking

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 9:14 pm    

I don't think it's totally dead. Not when you have someone like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5MLxYefMA
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 3:30 pm    

New York and Los Angeles have a war on against country music. It involves B3 organs and distorted Les Paul guitars. They hate steel guitars and fiddles. Traditional players like Strait, Chestnut, and Jackson better wake up and realize that they're in a war for their destruction. The rock crowd is calling rock music country. Which is theft.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 3:38 pm    

Since George Strait is retiring from performing (and maybe even recording?) then I guess the best they can do is kick him in the a$$ on the way out the door.

Seems though like George is getting the last laugh since he's going out on top..

I do have to say though I like the guy, I've never been an enthusiastic fan. A number of years ago someone started a thread here entitled something like "Is George Strait Bland?" I've searched for it once or twice since and have not been able to locate it.

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 5:22 pm    

I have always said these guys like Strait and Jackson are just good singers, not great singers. They sound as good as they are because of the studio guys and his touring band. If they had a mediocre band, they wouldn't be as good as they are.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 11:46 am    

"New York and Los Angeles have a war on against country music. It involves B3 organs and distorted Les Paul guitars."

With all due respect, that is complete nonsense. B3 organs? Do they even make B3 organs anymore?

Today's music industry is a democratic as it gets: people vote though youtube views, spotify plays, and downloads.

What ever is popular today it is because the people have spoken.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 1:26 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
"New York and Los Angeles have a war on against country music. It involves B3 organs and distorted Les Paul guitars."

With all due respect, that is complete nonsense. B3 organs? Do they even make B3 organs anymore?

Today's music industry is a democratic as it gets: people vote though youtube views, spotify plays, and downloads.

It doesn't matter if they make B3's or not. There are plenty still around. B3 use in country has been happening for a long time. Maybe not as prevalent as it is now. Remember "Easy Lovin'" by Freddy Hart. There was an organ in that song. Maybe not a B3, but the same sound as one.

Everyone on here constantly toots George Strait, and how he is the epitome of country music.. I have been to a few where Rick McRae was playing a Les Paul.

So, the B3 and Les Paul evidently has a place in Country music.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 2:04 pm    

Almost no one schleps a B3 around anymore - most synths today can probably get that job done, and Les Paul's are capable of other sounds besides an annoying buzzsaw. Listen to a Les Paul recording for instance..
As for George, well… My take on it is, he kind of became the epitome of country music through a combination of attrition and perseverance.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 6:08 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Almost no one schleps a B3 around anymore - most synths today can probably get that job done, and Les Paul's are capable of other sounds besides an annoying buzzsaw. Listen to a Les Paul recording for instance..
As for George, well… My take on it is, he kind of became the epitome of country music through a combination of attrition and perseverance.

And great players in the studio and on the road.

B3's, I still see some concerts, even country, that they have a B3. But Hammond has drawbar organ synths that are spectacular. There's even some small Leslie speakers.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 4:25 am    

I guess they finally rounded up all the true Country fans for one last venue. Well almost,I couldn't make it.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 8:44 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:

With all due respect, Bill, stuff becomes popular today because big money controls the playlists that the radio stations (also controlled by big money, as Clinton and Shrub eliminated the restrictions on ownership consolidation) put out (when the feds outlawed payola, it came back in new disguises and continues to this day. If you want a hit, you kinda have to buy entree to the charts).
And teens and early 20somethings still have the largest influence on the charts, and peer pressure still will influence what they're gonna allow into their ears.

BUT on the flip side, non-hit-making artists are doing better than ever, since internets make it possible for them to get exposure.
Dale may not be making hits, but he's still out there, and so is Amber Digby and Heather Myles.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 10:01 am    

Lane,

I totally disagree. Last years biggest hit gangnam style, was played BECAUSE it got so many hits on youtube. As is today's hit Happy. That song was released 6 months before it became a hit and became a hit because of the youtube video, not radio play.

I agree with you on teens; it has always been thus. The youth are who have always made or broke artists because they have the most time and disposable income.

Today things are played on the radio after they become hits on youtube. And they become hits on youtube because people share on social media things that they like.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 10:32 am    

For breakout hits, sure. But you can bet yer ass that if it weren't for payola, we'd never have heard of Luke Bryan or Eric Church. And the deck is stacked against the breakout hits
And Dale/Heather/Amber/Justin aren't likely to have big hits and 7 figure incomes thanks to youtube, but I submit that because of today's Internet, Dale won't have to have a day job like Norman Wade or Vernon Oxford.
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 8:26 am    

A real Musician don't have a day job.We live it 24/7.That's what's wrong with this Music Business Industry of neighborhoods back yard getting in the way Musicians. The wrong people are in it for the wrong reason. Just like we are all suppose to United as one,Right just like every State Across America.That's why the Cowboy he ain't riding away,he on the Strait path by George. Winking The God Father Of Southern California Country Music,Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Poigeons -facebook.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 8:55 am    

I also don't believe that YouTube or other social media sites determine what songs will become "radio hits". Like Lane says, the Nashville machine chooses what songs off an album to release and the radio stations have them on their playlists.

Quote:
I totally disagree. Last years biggest hit gangnam style, was played BECAUSE it got so many hits on youtube. As is today's hit Happy. That song was released 6 months before it became a hit and became a hit because of the youtube video, not radio play.

Do you have any proof of that? I am not sure, but it sounds as though the 2 songs (?) you mention are not country, but another genre. Still, the record company controls what songs are released to the radio stations.

YouTube and other social media is great for the acts that won't get National recognition, mostly because they are "too Country". Nashville caters to the people that buys CD's and goes to concerts.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 10:13 am    

LJ Eiffert wrote:
A real Musician don't have a day job.We live it 24/7.That's what's wrong with this Music Business Industry of neighborhoods back yard getting in the way Musicians. The wrong people are in it for the wrong reason. Just like we are all suppose to United as one,Right just like every State Across America.That's why the Cowboy he ain't riding away,he on the Strait path by George. Winking The God Father Of Southern California Country Music,Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Poigeons -facebook.

Leo, I will point out (with pride) that my dad and the people he worked with to make one of the best bluegrass bands of the 70s and 80s started as (in the words of instrument store bench tech John Duffey) "the Wednesday night bowling league for a bunch of guys with day jobs and a real life." The Seldom Scene joined:
A cartographer (Tom Gray, bass player. Stayed with National Geographic for years, is the only cartographer to have worked on all editions of their atlas).
A commercial graphic artist (Mike Auldridge, Dobro. Worked in the advertising department of the Washington Star til it folded).
An Army surgeon (Dr. John.Starling. Despite having a day job, is Emmylou Harris' favorite living singer.).
A "computer mathematician", whatever that was. (Ben Eldridge, banjo. Probably one of the most evocative banjer pickers. AFAIK kept that job for decades, because he liked the job. Probably only retired because he felt like it. If in fact he has).
The aforementioned music store instrument repair guy (John Duffey never won any awards for his mando playing, probably deservedly so, but his playing accurately reflected his goofy personality. And he didn't suck).

By choosing to be weekend warriors, MY dad was home to his kids at night, not some figure on the phone. There's something to be said for having a normal life.

Oh, let's not forget auto mechanic Danny Gatton, who let off steam after work by making noise with HIS pals, including that Emmons guy.

Yes, a lot of weekend warriors are just hacks who don't value good technique and making good music. But there are MANY who are good solid musicians, paying attention to the details of what makes good music, who choose to keep music as an avocation, so that they ONLY play the gigs they want, turning down gigs and bands that don't interest them because their day job covers the bills, and they play because they want to, or if they need to, the need is strictly creative instead of financial.

The late and respected Don Warner from the St. Louis area was a truck driver, going to steel guitar gigs after his day's driving with Yellow.

Johnny Staats probably still has his UPS job (haven't paid attention), even called his band "the Delivery Boys."

I don't mean to demean or dismiss the everyday musicians, I occasionally wish I'd the guts to abandon my regular day job and only rely on steels for my income. But that's a LOT of hustle to keep it going. But I take offense when someone knocks the folks who choose to make music an avocation instead of vocation.

Few people talk of "Ben Eldridge the computer guy", "Tom Gray, the mapmaker", "Danny Gatton the mechanic," or "Johnny Staats the UPS guy." They're still musicians.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 10:18 am    

ALSO, people with day jobs only playing the music they love when the popular tastes want something else will keep a less popular music alive.
The guys and gals who need the money will RIGHTLY take the paying jobs making the music the 17-24 year olds want to hear.
And I'll go to a bar with my day-job friends and make the kinds of music we want to hear. And play it well.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 10:32 am    

Quote:
Traditional country music is dead?

I think the definition of "traditional" music has always been music from an era that only grandma and grandpa remember. So it's not dead as long as they live. When they are gone, a new generation of gradmas and grandpas will define a new type of "traditional" music.