| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using an IPad for solo gigs
Steve Gorman

Gilroy California
Post  Posted 17 May 2014 2:39 pm    

Do you ever use an iPad to play backing tracks while gigging or practicing? If so, what is the best app to use? I am not happy with iTunes. Specifically I need a larger display, lots of tune memory and I don't want the next tune on the list to automatically start. I make all my tracks myself. What's out there that works well?
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 17 May 2014 5:34 pm    

great idea I'm sure there's tons of those apps available . I would love to know myself. I have a tablet but an apple would probably work better. my trouble is I don't sing.

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2014 9:13 pm    

There is a Band In A Box app for the IPad that could be used.
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 4:45 am    

I use an app called Tempo for my iPad. You can pre program a song list that has the names of the songs, their key and and tempo. It's great for steel shows where you need to get the tempos right.. You click on the song and it gives you a click to count the song off with.. Another great app is Coolset, you can even import PDF charts and mp3s as well as everything Tempo does...
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 18 May 2014 7:07 am    

Steve,
There is a way to save itune songs to playlist where each song loads, permits you
to start when you want and not move to the next song automatically. I think it was something like each song is it's own playlist, yet they all list on the left side.
I'm not at the computer right now, but a search or request for help at the Apple Forum should render your solution.

You also may like DD GigBook ap. This allows you extensive sorting options with a link to the song in itunes within the "Details" option to each song. You also have a .pdf sheet depicting chords and notes to view while the song is playing. Use drop box, but I have not used it at gig, where maybe internet connection might be required. If internet is needed, it would still be worth activating it because storing my wrks with GB works for me.
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 18 May 2014 12:01 pm    

I just tried DD GigBook away from the house without internet service.
I loaded the PDF file containing notes and tab, linked it the the iTunes associated song, tapped the screen and the Play/Pause interface came up and then played the backing track.

Creating 'Set Lists" with GigBook allows you to organize different sets for gigs with different requirements.

Store all your PDF files at DropBox. Load your songs/info notes from DropBox to GigBook and all your Backing Tracks in iTunes, then sync. Plays one song at a time.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 3:41 pm    

iTunes default settings are geared to do certain things, but you can get in and tinker with it and it will do what you want. It can be set to read and play WAV and AAC and such - and making your own tracks is a great way to go too! I played bass for decades, but I don't (real) drum and I don't sing, so it's pretty challenging. Even with a drum machine, learning how to think like a drummer (not the part about Cheetos & beer) and lock all the instruments together is fascinating. I'm getting a new-found appreciation of some of the bands I snooty-nosed past in my youth...
Jim Means

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 4:28 pm    

Steve,
I don't do a solo act. But I use a program called ForScore to do my charts and set lists to use with the Gospel group I play for. You do your charts and/or words for a song as pdfs and load them into ForScore. You also make a playlist in iTunes to sync to you iPad for all the mp3s of you songs. Then you just create your setlist with ForScore and point the chart to the corresponding mp3 and you're off and running. It's a lot simpler than it sounds or I wouldn't be able to do it.
The Band is pretty scattered and we don't get a chance for practice sessions very often so I use ForScore for personal practice sessions as well. The Bandleader will often send me a set list a few days before and I will create the setlist for the concert, point the songs to the mp3 files and away we go. As you progress through your set list, you just reach up and tap the right side of the screen to move to the next song. You can also use a blue tooth foot switch like AirTurn or a PageFlip Cicada to progress to the next song.
My wife usually records all our concerts with an mp3 recorder (an Edirol R-09HR) so I have the exact arrangement of the tune. I have found the mp3 recorder teamed up with my iPad running ForScore to be the best "music money" I have ever spent, aside from my instruments of course. You can go to youtube and do a search for ForScore and find all kinds of information.
As a disclaimer, I am not the author and have no financial interests in it. Laughing It's just been a very good tool for me. Feel free to contact my with any questions.

Jim in Missouri