| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  spokane area
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 12:32 pm    

i'm movin up to spokane.........anything going on with steel work in the area......thanks for any info. .....dean
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 3:46 pm    

Hey Dean, Spokane? Well Ok.
As far as the last several years, I've been it-I'm the only steel player around that is still playing. We have many guys and a few gals who play at home-bedroom pickers.
We used to have a yearly steel guitar jam. It got to the point were we had Russ Hicks, JD, David Wright, Joe Wright, and several other big names, lots of people too. I think 2009 was the last jam. I was the one conducting the jam, but I decided to go another direction, and turned it over to some of the other steel fans and helpers. Nothing against them, but they let the jams slide to the point now, there are no more jams in the Spokane area. People want me to start one up again, but I'm just too busy with other things, plus I'm playing 3 and 4 nights a week in and around Spokane.
When you get here, send me an email and we'll get together. I love steel,big history fan of the steel and its development and players.
Do you play?
Duane Becker
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 4:33 pm    

yeah..i play steel, banjo ,dobro,..played in the area some years ago. my daughter is moving to the area...thought i might try it to ......also...thanks for your response..........dean
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 4:33 pm    

yeah..i play steel, banjo ,dobro,..played in the area some years ago. my daughter is moving to the area...thought i might try it to ......also...thanks for your response..........dean
Kelly Hydorn

Spokane
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 2:05 pm    

Hey Dean, Welcome back to Spokane. As Duane mentioned there are only a few players here right now, some in Idaho which is a stone's throw from Spokane. Duane also mentioned the jams that were held some years back which were successful, just need some folks to get the thing going again. I play Friday nights at a Gospel thing in Deer Park playing the older gospel music. So if you like give me a call on the ringgie dingee when you have time. Kelly.
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 2:53 pm    

thanks......kelly n duane i'll look you guy's up when i get up your way
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 2:13 pm    

Hey Dean, ever make it to Spokane yet?
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 2:38 pm    

hey duane........my daughters moved up....i'm soon to follow....thanks for stayin in touch......i'll let you know when i'm commin up your way...i'd love to hear you play that steel......again.....thanks for keepin in touch.........dean
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 6:16 pm    

Duane,
Is the club Gator McCluskey's still in Lake Hauser?
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 6:37 pm    

Jack, no Gator's is long gone.
Nothing at Hauser lake anymore, except Curley's and that club is several miles from Hauser. Curley's features loud head banging rock and roll.
Nothing really in Spokane, I do work gigs alot, but with three bands and I have to watch my schedule pretty well so I dont double or triple book myself.
Theres several Eagles clubs in Spokane, however I just found out that the Spokane Valley Eagles is no longer going to pay bands, band will now work for the door.
There's a local road side bar called the Lariet in north Spokane that books country music. There's the Buckhorn in west Spokane that books country too. Wine tasting venues are a good place to play as well and pay pretty good. The up-town wine drinkers love the old county and western music.
There are no hot new country clubs here either, but several bands play the new stuff and they hussle to book too.
Other than that, I drive alot of miles to do gigs, Geneally around $100 per man, and I claim everything on my federal taxes to get the deductions, miles, and such. For me that really helps. And I dont work a day job, its all steel guitar money for me.
Probably more than you asked but that's the way it is!
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 10:18 am    

i guess that was sorta for me too ........so thanks.....see ya soon dean
Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 11:01 am    

About the only thing going in North Idaho is the Slab in Coeur d'Alene and some Eagles halls. Old Town and maby Sandpoint
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 2:48 pm    

Right you are Jim.
I wonder if the Sandpoint Eagles still has music, played there 3 or 4 years ago and they said music was being dropped.
Actually for Coeur d'Alene, I'm filling in for a group called Sam Platts and the Kootnei Three on July 22. Tuesday night around 6:30pm in the little park/grassey area between the two buildings on Sherman right in downtown. If you get a chance come on down and say hi.
Its ole fashioned honky tonk stuff.
Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 7:16 am    

Sorry to jump in on this post. Duane I will be in Spokane for a training the week of August 11th - 15th. Let me know if you have anything going on that week. Please say hi to Sam Platt's drummer Robbie, he is a shirt-tail realative of mine (my oldest son's step brother). I lived and played in Sandpoint from 1977 to 1995.

Mike
Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:34 am    

The Sam Platts group is pretty fantastic. They make it out to Missoula, MT on a semi-regular basis, and have a bit of a cult following here.

Sam plays some pretty fantastic non-pedal steel as well, but they have dropped that from their touring lineup - I believe.

I'd love to hear them with a dedicated Steeler.

Sounds the the situation in Spokane is similar to that of western Montana. Good luck guys.

If it makes any difference, I would come to Spokane for a dedicated steel jam. (If only to watch and learn).
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 2:01 pm    

Michael, I'll be playing with a band, Mike Bryant and Coyote Country at the Spokane North Eagles, near the corner of Divison and Francis on Friday and Saturday the 11th and 12th from 7pm to 11pm.
Arron, yes young Platts and his group are pretty fantastic I agree.
I watch these guitar player front-man singers come and go. Once in a while I think, hey that guys pretty good, but female friends and lifes daily troubles get mixed in.
With Sam its different, and I think we've got a good one here, band is great.
As you probably know, Sam is also playing for Wylie and the Wild West. I fill in on casuals for Sam and Wylie still, and Wylies even got Sams bass player playing for him. Sam's upright bass player and drummer sound pretty good too.
Joel Johnston

Mead, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2014 3:08 pm     Dean - Add me to your contact list

Dean - if you do make it to Spokane, add me to your contact list. I was a board member with the NW Steel Guitar Assoc when it as active and Duane was President. Duane and I organized most of the Steel Jams in the area at that time that pulled in the super pickers that Duane mentioned. I am always interested in meeting and jamming with any new steelers I can find in the Spokane area. Played a gig with Duane last night as a matter of fact. You can e-mail me at Walkinbass2@aol.com.
Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2014 12:07 pm    

yeah....i'm workin on it.. maybe spring.....i'll let you know when i get dere ....thanks for getin a'hold of me.....dean