| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  RR Ripoff - HILARIOUS!!!!!
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 4:39 pm    

It was hilarious! Watching the down bill bands today at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, and, boy, did they not spend any money on the opening acts. So here's a group of college age kids (and played to about the level of first year college students), imminently forgettable. Couldn't tell you the name of the band or name one of their songs (even while I was listening to them), but the highlight was the ROBERT RANDOLPH RIPOFF! I laughed my A** off. Here was this kid with a Fessy and a Dobro bar and a Mesa Boogie and Wah-wah pedal and he was beatin' the hell out of that thing. Tilting it forward and whompin' on it to the delight of the concert-goers.

Now I've made no secret of my disdain for RR, both as a person and a musician, and I posted several years ago that kids will go into the music store and hear a Lloyd Green CD and say, "Yeah, that's nice, but I want to make it sound like a hyena rippin' the a** out of a buffalo." That day, my friends, has arrived.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 4:54 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:02 pm    

What an unnecessarily nasty bit of vitriol.
You sure don't have to like another member's music or the way they apply themselves to their instrument... this is on a whole different level. SMH Sad
From the forum rules;

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false, defamatory, libelous, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, racist or illegal".

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 5:26 pm    

Geoff
While his negative comments are somewhat unsolicited and perhaps ill-advised, I don't see that expressing his disdain for RR as both a player and a person is, in and of itself, a violation of Forum rules.

It does speak more of the OP than it does of RR or those that emulate him, to whatever degree of expertise they possess.

I dare say that RR's popularity or career have not been affected the least bit by Michael's expression of disapproval. If RR noticed, I'm sure it was only in passing.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 6:16 pm    

Quote:
I've made no secret of my disdain for RR, both as a person and a musician

Disdain "as a person"? Really? I've watched and read a lot of RR interviews and he always comes across as a gentleman, respectful of all musicians, intelligent.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 4 May 2014 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 6:43 pm    

Penis Envy is a small predicament ....... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:01 pm    

Doug, How much time have you spent on his bus? Dustin, I think you've spent too much time on Twitter and YouTube. Have any salient comments regarding musicianship?

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:06 pm    

Michael, tell us why you have "disdain" for RR "as a person". What exactly is it about his personality or his character that you dislike? Do you have any specifics? Or are you just making assumptions?

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 4 May 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Holland

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:15 pm    

Doug, I thought you were a bit more astute. I worked as Randolph's tech for a period and traveled with him and his band (as well as with Chuck and Derrick Campbell). I have posted regarding my personal experiences and Bob has removed the post(s) as "incindiary", though they were 100% truthful. You should not attack me because you have no idea of what it is you're saying.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:17 pm    

Michael, I'm not attacking you, I'm just wondering why you are attacking RR so aggressively. It seems that you've answered that question now. Over and out.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 7:52 pm    

Michael,
I saw that same group. Guitar player was excellent, and the bass and drums threw down a groove, man.
As far as the steel player--Not a "ROBERT RANDOLPH RIPOFF!," as you say. His weak skills as a player may have been apparent, but jumping around with the guitar? Hardly a RR exclusive. I've seen Rusty Young do it, we opened for a guy named Leon Everette once, and his steel player was doing exactly the same stuff---And I doubt if Robert Randolph was even born then.
That kind of stuff is called "entertainment." Sorta like Buddy spinning the bar around.
Was the band good? I'm inclined to say that they had their moments, but I wouldn't say they were great. But they're young, and they're working hard. And I like to see an enthusiastic crowd---Don't we all?
Michael Holland

Post  Posted 4 May 2014 8:06 pm    

"Sorta like Buddy spinning the bar around."? I encourage anyone to emulate Buddy Emmons or Jimmy Day as a steel guitarist. That's a life-long endeavor. On the other hand, it would take about 30 minutes to teach my ten year old nephew to work the Wah-wah and scrape the strings and flail the bar at volume '11'. Do you have no perspective?

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:21 pm    

Michael,
I don't have a twitter,and the day I left my last group I closed my facebook account. I don't need a source for my comedic insults...I write them myself. I've seen you in here before bitching about Robert and his alleged racism and age discrimination and I have just one question for you. If you were in his employ,why did you not file a civil lawsuit or call the NLRB ? Why only vent on the internet ? I've been around the block a couple of times, and worked for artists that I didn't really care for. One band in particular who shall remain nameless had a manager who was a total moron. Still today I wonder how they ever moved 250,000 units of two cliche'd record is beyond me ! What I didn't do is spend my every waking keystroke bitching about it ! Life's too short dude,move on !

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:28 pm    

Is this player a member of the forum? Probably. But even if he's not, it's pretty rude to accuse one player of "ripping off" another. It also appears to be slam against Fessenden and Mesa/Boogie (my former employer).

I might be wrong, but if I am it's because your communication skills aren't saying what you really mean to say. Convince me that I'm getting the wrong message in a PM and I'll reopen this topic with your apology. Otherwise, this conversation is over.