| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Cage
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2013 5:20 am    

A friend of mine sent me a picture of buddy's rig last night......what's that unit to HIS right? Synth?

Last edited by Alan Berdoulay on 21 Oct 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 4:44 am    

He may be the sound man or its his own control to stay in control , demon spawn.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 5:09 am    

It looks like a personal monitor aimed right at Buddy's good ear. Every time I have seen him play he has had a twin in that same position.

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 5:24 am    

Looks like a multieffect unit to me, the gadget on the left. Foot switches etc...
He`s scaled down his pedal and lever set up by about a dozen since the last guitar I saw Smile

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 21 Oct 2013 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 5:27 am    

Probably this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TCE-NOVASYSTEM-LIST
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 11:12 am    

Olli, thats a cool effects module. first time I`ve seen that model.
I use the same Berringer monitor, its a 150 watt 6 inch and they work well, a very acceptable sound for about 150 bucks.

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 12:21 pm    

Novasystem looks right. Thanks.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2013 12:54 pm    

Sorry, I didn't see the big arrow when I posted...

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2013 9:55 pm    

it absolutely IS the nova system. Buddy called me and said his Boss unit was dying a slow death and he needed to do something. The 1st thing I ran into was that almost ALL systems are loaded up with amp and speaker modeling. Well Buddy doesn't need all that-he already HAS the amp and speaker everyone is trying to model. So all that is just taking up space and forcing shortcuts elsewhere to keep the price down. The Nova system cam highly recommended by road players, studio freaks and last but not least Brad Sarno, so we grabbed one.

Cage loves it. So does his sound guy and everyone in both his bands (NRPS and Stirfried). About 3 of them have bought one as well and I'm going to get one too. He's having a lot of fun with it and uses it extensively.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2013 2:59 am    

Thank you jb
Vincent Lenci

Sussex, New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 9:47 am    

heres a close up ...iwas right next to him the whole night...about 4 hrs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDfeURRcwM&feature=youtu.be
Vincent Lenci

Sussex, New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 9:51 am    

I have maybe 15 videos that I haven't posted
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 10:01 am    

Whew....glad I saw them back in the late 60's! Smile

Sussex, New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 10:48 am    

We're all getting older....at least they're still rockin!
JB Arnold

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 10:55 am    

The NRPS are now much bluesier than they used to be. They are also much more of a jam band. If you're looking for a lot of straight up country rock you'll only hear it when they do the old favorites. Quite frankly, their last studio album, "Where I Come From" may be the best the band has ever done overall. Adding youth in the rhythm section was a really good idea.

They were out here right after its release for a festival show and had about 5,000 people swarming the streets and they just REALLY cooked. Of course, by the size of the cloud of smoke hanging over the crowd you could tell they were all pretty cooked too. But everyone had a great time. The city asked them not to play their songs that encourage marijuana use (this was pre-amend 64) and they ignored that and loaded up with Panama Red, Henry, Higher, and all the others all right in a row.

If you go see them you'll see a great show. you'll hear a lot of your faves, but its definitely jam band style. 2 members (Cage and Markowski) are also in Stirfried, which is a full on jam band. you'll need your Phreak flag.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Vincent Lenci

Sussex, New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 11:09 am    

They didn't play Panama Red which was on their set list which I recieved from them ..was the last song but they jammed too long on the junk songs!
JB Arnold

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 11:41 am    

If you are there thinking you'll see a retro act of their old stuff-a la every other 60's and 70's act-you'll be disappointed. They are looking forward, not backwards. you'll hear much more new than old, and the old has been reworked. Panama Red, for instance, is nowhere near as steel heavy as it used to be.

Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 1:57 pm    

JB, isn't "17 Pine Avenue" their latest? I think it is as good as anything they've done. Buddy is all over the place and sounds better than ever. That's saying a lot since I've been a huge fan of his since Powerglide. Gypsy Cowboy is one of my favorite albums ever!
Jamie
JB Arnold

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2013 3:51 pm    

Ooops you're right! I have that one the brain cause its in the car right now.

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 7:27 pm     Nrps

The New Riders played Phoenix last week
The venue was not the greatest
JB's comments are pretty much right on as to the band and Buddy's playing now days
I had not heard them before but have been a fan of the records for years
I would like to say I am "Greatful" they came and really glad I went
Rock on guys!
JB Arnold

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 8:18 pm    

They have never sold as many tix in the West as they have on the coasts where they are selling out halls. Most of the clubs on the jam circuit are run down and in bad parts of town. Just how it is these days.

John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 8:33 pm     Buddy Cage

My two favorite Buddy Cage songs with Buddy playing steel were the original NRPS song Hello Mary Lou, and Silvia Tyson's Trucker's Café. Buddy and I go back a long way. Went to high school together and I met him when I started taking steel guitar lessons in Ontario Canada, I think we were about twelve years old at the time. He used to come over to my house and we would play together for hours at a time.
JB Arnold

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2013 8:48 pm    

That live version of truckers cafe on great Speckeled bird really smokes

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 5:31 am    

Quote:
Quite frankly, their last studio album, "Where I Come From" may be the best the band has ever done overall. Adding youth in the rhythm section was a really good idea.

The new record is good, but let's not forget that Dawson's voice and songwriting are not present
The new rhythm section cooks. The jams were great live
Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2013 7:00 am    

JB Arnold wrote:
The NRPS are now much bluesier than they used to be. They are also much more of a jam band. If you're looking for a lot of straight up country rock you'll only hear it when they do the old favorites. Quite frankly, their last studio album, "Where I Come From" may be the best the band has ever done overall. Adding youth in the rhythm section was a really good idea.

They were out here right after its release for a festival show and had about 5,000 people swarming the streets and they just REALLY cooked. Of course, by the size of the cloud of smoke hanging over the crowd you could tell they were all pretty cooked too. But everyone had a great time. The city asked them not to play their songs that encourage marijuana use (this was pre-amend 64) and they ignored that and loaded up with Panama Red, Henry, Higher, and all the others all right in a row.

If you go see them you'll see a great show. you'll hear a lot of your faves, but its definitely jam band style. 2 members (Cage and Markowski) are also in Stirfried, which is a full on jam band. you'll need your Phreak flag.

JB

I love NRPS. I'm still sort of a youngin' (35) and BC was one of the main reasons I got into playing pedal steel. NRPS plays through Upstate NY pretty regularly and both times I've seen them they sounded great, unlike a lot of bands from the same era. I'm glad that they're still growing and trying new things instead of becoming a novelty act.