Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JEFF NEWMAN'S CLASS early 80's
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2014 6:24 am    

Here's me

Does anyone recognize themselves

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 1:21 am    

That is certainly a blast from the past!! I attended Jeff's intermediate and advanced class. Which one was this? I'm the one with the white shirt and vest in the first row. Thanks for posting. Lot of water under the bridge since then!
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 2 May 2014 1:43 am    

Thank you George, I am not sure, but I think it was the intermediate class. Regards,,Brian

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 2:17 am    

I remember the fella sitting next to me in the blue shirt and vest, don't recall his name but I remember us tearing around Nashville late on Thursday night into Friday morning! Up to no good!! I remember Jeff always saying around lunch that we'd go to the Cracker Barrel for a "bowl of beans". Those classes served me well. I went to the advanced class the following year and right after that our band won the New England region of the Wild Turkey Battle of the Bands held at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center and I remember stopping to see Jeff and inviting him and Fran to the show, and he attended! Came back stage and wished us well. Great man gone before his time. Thanks for the memories in your picture.
Best Regards,
George
Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 7:25 am    

Here is my class from 1980

Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2014 4:12 pm     Jeffran

Does anyone have pics on or info on November 1979 intermediate class? I was there I don't remember any names. I don't think enough can be said about Jeff and Fran. There hospitality just great people. I had a great time. RIP JEFF NEWMAN
Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2014 4:13 pm     Jeffran

Does anyone have pics on or info on November 1979 intermediate class? I was there I don't remember any names. I don't think enough can be said about Jeff and Fran. There hospitality just great people. I had a great time. RIP JEFF NEWMAN
Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2014 4:14 pm    

Sorry for the double post.
Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 8:33 am     Jeff's students!

I really admire all of you who took advantage of Jeff's psg schooling back then, when little or nothing was available, no dvd's, internet, networking, etc. You made the effort and invested in the travel there to gain valuable experience. Look where these players are now, professionals in every sense of the word. Wish I had been bitten by the bug long ago.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:06 am    

I remember attending his weeklong class sometime in the early 80's. You received an intense, but outstanding, 8 hours of classroom training for 5 days. Jeff would present the lesson and then, while the class would practice it through their headphones, Jeff would wander through the class and give you individual pointers. Then it would be on to the next lesson and the next......

Oh, yeah, Buddy Emmons was there for two days, too, helping out. On Thursday evening there was an in-house jam session where Jeff invited several Nashville players to attend. I remember a young Sid Hudson played 6-string and TORE the place up.

I learned so much from that and it has stayed with me through all these decades.

Jeff Newman was an INCREDIBLE teacher and a GREAT player. Funny, too. You know, I can still hear his voice when I read his name or think of him.
Jim Wilson

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 4:36 pm     Jeff Newman's Class

Hi Brian, I also took lessons from Jeff Newman in 80's. In fact that is me on the top row, second from the left on the second photo that you posted. Those lessons have stayed with me for all this time. I still refer to his woodshed workshops. It was a great investment for me to have been taught by the professional that Jeff was. It's funny, I too can still hear his voice. I still play my steel guitar thanks to Jeff Newman. It's nice to hear from others who have also taken his courses.

Bentonville, AR USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 10:30 am    

Anyone have pics from the summer of 1982? I attended an intermediate class sometime that summer. I really enjoyed it and the class has served me well. Jeff was a great teacher.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 3:42 pm    

Steve I posted up a pic of the June/July 1982 advanced class recently so just do a search on it and see if you were in that picture.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2014 1:00 pm     Oct 1979

I attended the Oct. 1979 advanced class. Shared a room with Ken Denning from the UK. There was a guy from Texas named Doyle who built an amp. He asked BE to try it out. Great concert from BE. The first tune he played was Scrapple Fron the Apple.
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 11:15 am    

My certificate is dated 26th of April, 1980. Intermediate class.
Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 2:42 pm    

Anyone here attended the class of May 1981?