| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Steel" confused: a newbie question about rodding chart
Yanick Roy

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 2:30 pm    

Good day to all,
first of all please excuse my subpar english, it is after all a second language for me...

I finally entered the PSG community last week with the purchase of a Carter Starter (not the best PSG but decent enough to learn on + I got it cheap enough to sell it with profit when I want to upgrade)

Having said that I suspect the previous owner has tinkered with the guitar. I want to make sure it is set to factory specs. There are no tech close to home (the closest being wonderful Al Brisco whom I had the chance to met last summer but it is a 4hrs drive from here) Anyways...

I found the rodding chart for the Starter:
http://www.steelguitar.com/carter/csroddingchart.html

Just to make sure: According to this chart Am I to understand that string 5 for example should be in bell crank number 1 going through R1 (so in other words the nylon thing should be at R1?
If my understanding is correct and IF i needed to move it from r2 TO r1, the way to do this would be to unscrew the nylon thing and change it to r1 or is there more to this?

Thanks for your help
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 2:43 pm    

Yanick. I believe that you have stated this correctly.
I do not know how much play there is in the CS pull system. It is possible that to change the hole at the changer (R1 to R2, eg), after removing the nylon tuning nut you may have to remove the rod from the bellcrank in order to back the rod out of the changer hole.

One thought however, and I say this never having worked on a CS---is it possible that you might want to keep things as they are? Is it possible that the previous owner actually fine-tuned the guitar and it is good as it is? It is very frustrating to take a working steel and mess it up enough to need a doctor.

That said, the adjustments you are talking about should be simple and having the proper rodding chart should make this painless.
Worst case scenario? You come back here and get plenty of assistance.

Good luck.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 2:46 pm     Re:

Yanick Roy wrote:
Just to make sure: According to this chart Am I to understand that string 5 for example should be in bell crank number 1 going through R1 (so in other words the nylon thing should be at R1?
If my understanding is correct and IF i needed to move it from r2 TO r1, the way to do this would be to unscrew the nylon thing and change it to r1 or is there more to this?

Yes, that's all there is to it. Jon is correct, you will have to disconnect it at the bellcrank too.

Keep in mind that the chart is showing what the guitar looks like when it is upside down as if were in the case.

Good luck!
Yanick Roy

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 7:08 pm    

Thanks to all
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 8:16 pm    

BTW, the BELLCRANKS are inverted on the diagram (as in looking down at it in the case), but the fingers are NOT (as in, they're shown with the guitar assembled and standing on the floor ready to play).
Slightly confusing, since they have two orientations at work