| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Non pedal without picks...pedal with picks???
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 11:51 am    

I have played finger style, six string standard/Spanish guitar, without finger picks for almost 50 years (thumb pick only).
When I practice my on my non-pedal/lap steels I tend not to use finger picks (thumb pick only)and it feels like the natural thing to do...just like playing my six string standard guitar.
But...when I go to the pedal steel I feel I need to use finger picks...and feel guilty if I don't! What gives? Some sort of sub-conscious brain washing related to Forum articles concerning the use/need for finger picks. Anyone else play non-pedal without picks but use picks for pedal???
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 2:47 pm    

I just bought my first squareneck resonator (dobro), an Adams. It should arrive tomorrow. I'm contemplating the same dilemna. I've used fingerpicks before, kinda got used to them, but never really liked them. I'm a little afraid the Bluegrass folks might take my dobro away from me if I don't use fingerpicks. It does seem a little strange to me that fingernails are fine for standard guitar or lap steel, but not acceptable for pedal steel or dobro. Even weirder, fingernails are fine for a resonator guitar as long as the neck is round and not horizontal. I'm wondering if I could get away with acrylic nails. I've heard they're a bit brighter. Hmmm.

-Chase
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 3:23 pm    

Chase Brady wrote:
I just bought my first squareneck resonator (dobro), an Adams. It should arrive tomorrow. I'm contemplating the same dilemna. I've used fingerpicks before, kinda got used to them, but never really liked them. I'm a little afraid the Bluegrass folks might take my dobro away from me if I don't use fingerpicks. It does seem a little strange to me that fingernails are fine for standard guitar or lap steel, but not acceptable for pedal steel or dobro....

-Chase

I don't play dobro, but I go to a lot of Bluegrass Jams (I play fiddle and mandolin). First; Congrats on getting your first Squareneck! Bluegrass jams I go to could always do with more dobro players. Second; speaking from my own experience, and as one who loves having dobro in the mix; one of the biggest hurdles to dobro players at these jams is volume. Meaning, I would really try and get comfortable with fingerpicks right from the get go.
You can always back off when you want less volume, but cutting through the mix with bare fingers or nails is a tall order.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 3:40 pm    

I use the same style thumbpick on both my acoustic and my electric steels. I use Dunlop .025 fingerpicks on the electrics, and plastic fingerpicks on the acoustics. The main reason for the plastic fingerpicks is the increased volume they produce. On electric instruments, the pickup and the amp do most of the work.

Plastic fingerpicks can be a booger to get properly shaped and fitted. I suffer a high rate of attrition whenever I make up a new set. In my experience, plastic fingerpicks can't be beat whenever loudness is a concern on any resophonic instrument.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 9:58 am    

I had forgotten about PLASTIC finger picks until reading the previous post...

So decided to try some out.

They are not easy to shape but hot water makes them soft and workable.

Even after fitted well, they are clunky and hard to get used to...

I am not sure I would ever be comfortable gigging with them, but they may be useful for recording to get a different sound.

Dom Cool

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 2:03 pm    

there is no law. you can use whatever you feel like on any instrument. what you play and who you play with will dictate more of what you will need to do. if no one can hear you without finger picks, you may choose to wear some so you can be heard.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 2:11 pm    

I swing both ways. I've gone through many years where I played electric guitar with only my flesh. Changed the way I played a little, but never for the worse. Same with steel guitar. I think it is good to prepare for all possibilities and allow yourself to explore the extra dynamics available with the flesh.

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 3:55 pm    

I tried the plastic finger picks (as shown) and they are extremely clumsy.
My finger nails are about the thickness of a "standard" guitar pick, so I can get a fairly good volume out of them, but like a "standard" guitar pick they will tear...ouch! When that occasionally happens, I'm back scrounging around for my metal finger picks.
Patrick Newbery

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2014 12:54 pm     Moving to picks from flesh

When I learned lap steel I spent the first few years just using a thumb pick and nothing on my fingers, and was pretty happy with things. every time I tried finger picks, they felt clumsy. i moved to dobro and tricone and felt fine without picks. then went on to pedal and again, no need for them. same with banjo.

then...

i was watching a Rob Ickes DVD for dobro, and was watching some of the basic finger picking exercises, got some dunlop metal finger picks and tried. it was a challenge at first, and I had to really work the shape and location of the picks to have the same feel i had with flesh alone. but, it quickly synced-up. What i found was that I had better articulation and clearer and more consistent attack.
the biggest difference i noticed was the sound when i recorded.

now i play almost exclusively with picks on (after 4 years of none) and like it. The thickness of the pick makes a pick difference (I like 0.15 for electric and .20-.25 for acoustic work). I also find that the metal thumb picks are a nice addition as there is a smaller "pick" which helps me with speed.

and of course, picks make banjo rolls a lot easier.

it might take 2-3 days of trying, which is challenging when first learning the instrument, but would suggest giving them a try.