| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording for YouTube or Soundcloud
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 12:04 pm    

Maybe this is not in the right category,,,,,if not maybe b0b can move it,,,,what programs or equipment does one need to record clips (audio or video) for youtube or sound cloud,,,,then how does one go about it. Maybe I just need a discussion about it???? Can someone begin????
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2014 1:19 pm    

I shoot my videos with a pretty decent (but not top-of-the-line) smartphone. See the videos at www.youtube.com/steelguitarlane

Gear involved:
Zum D10
Goodrich 120
Fender Twin
Motorola Droid Bionic
Tripod with phone adapter (some shot with fiancee in lieu of tripod)
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2014 8:57 am    

I have done a few for Youtube.. I just had my son use his phone and record me... Came out ok, not great, but not awful.. You won't get great sound with a phone camera, but the viewers will get the idea pretty well.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2014 10:29 am    

Given that most folks use computer speakers instead of sending computer sound to the stereo, phone mics provide better audio than they can use.
And, at least from my laptop to the stereo, my Droid does OK (although the ones I shot yesterday, with the phone 18" from the guitar and five feet from the amp have a lot of pedal noise) recorded with the phone.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2014 3:29 pm    

I think the smart phone or basic camera/video camera is fine for an instructional DVD or just to show what you are doing, but that is the equivalent of playing your high-end pedal steel through a cheapo small guitar amp - it is NOT hi-fi. If you really want to show off your playing - including to the guys who wear headphones or use quality speakers, then there are three basic ways to go:

1) Sound only (for Soundcloud) - This is covered very thoroughly in the "Recording" section of the forum, but a quick summary. Two basic choices - record direct to your computer, or record on a recorder, perhaps then editing in your computer.

2) Video, with sound on the video: most video cameras have the capability of recording decent sound. I'd suggest hooking up a mic and mic'ing your speaker. If there are more than one source (backing track? Two musicians?) then it will have to go to a small mixer, then to the video camera - I don't think I would choose this option unless you already have a mixer.

3) Separate sound and video. Use one of the methods mentioned in 1), above, to record your sound. Record video at same time. Put them together when you edit. Good to get a start point to synch them up easily - you don't need a "clapper" like the film use to use - just clap your hands once. Or, another method (I think there is a post about this RE: ACA today) - record the sound first and don't worry about the video. Then, when you have the track you like, unplug your steel, play it back, and fake it for the video. Hey, it's faked, but you are just doing an amateur video - who cares? Make sure you put a count at the start of the sound (if you are singing, that's easy. If not, just hit a sting several times for a count-in). You will need this so your fake playing starts where it is suppose to start! You then synch up the two with your video editing software that came with your camera, or some other program. Of course, you don't have to fake it - you could take your nice sound you recorded a la Soundcloud, and then put stills to it, or just do a music-video approach - cut in images that match what the song is about, or just do the "jerky-cam" effect through the whole video of the band playing so synch does not matter.

These are basic ways. I suppose there is a way to get a digital time stamp on the sound and the video these days even with amateur equipment (sorry, my knowledge base is about 20 years old, from when I worked in the FILM industry - when FILM was still shot on film!). Perhaps someone else will tell us how to do that. Maybe the camera outputs a time stamp that can be sent to the sound recorder?

Doug

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 11:24 am    

Douglas Schuch has given a good description here of the processes. Just to put a bit more meat on the bones and try to answer your question about what programs and software to use. I can only tell you what suits me.

I make all my own backing tracks mainly, but not always, using Band-in-a-Box, load that finished product into Adobe Audition 3 (now discontinued but still around) Play that back to myself through Headphones so it does not bleed into the Steel Track which I play through a Vox 30 Watt Amp and record through a small Zoom 2 Digital Stereo Recorder. That steel Part is also loaded into Audition 3 and lined up accurately with the Backing Track using a Mouse Drag. Then using Windows Movie Maker (free from Microsoft) the Audio Track is aligned with Still or Video material using the Mime method described by Douglas and again easily trimmed and accurately fitted by Mouse action alone, click Publish and you have a YouTube ready Video. Any of these 3 steps can be varied using Audio Recorders and Video Programs of your choice.

Here is one of my tracks made exactly as described by Douglas and myself.

PS. I use my Sony Nex Digital Camera for Still and Video recording, in the Windows Movie Maker the Camera Sound can be erased and your Soundtrack inserted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyMbwGnZh0

Last edited by James Kerr on 9 Apr 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 11:32 am     you tube videos

I use a digital camera but you have to watch not to use too good of one for the better ones can take up to three hours to upload one video. well for me it does lol so I keep my camera on the lowest settings and it takes about 20 min to upload.